WAV vs MP40

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running both in my tank, and have been for almost two years. Positives of the WAVS are they are integrated into the Apex and they are directional. Negatives are they need to be cleaned way more often than any other pump I have ran.....they lose power quickly if not kept clean. Positives of the MP40s are them being cordless and they are easy to keep clean (using an extra wetside they can just be swapped). Negatives are they are not directional and their magnets can sometimes be finicky. The WAVS seem to provide a bit more water movement but they are both pretty strong.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running both in my tank, and have been for almost two years. Positives of the WAVS are they are integrated into the Apex and they are directional. Negatives are they need to be cleaned way more often than any other pump I have ran.....they lose power quickly if not kept clean. Positives of the MP40s are them being cordless and they are easy to keep clean (using an extra wetside they can just be swapped). Negatives are they are not directional and their magnets can sometimes be finicky. The WAVS seem to provide a bit more water movement but they are both pretty strong.
I think I'm going to go with the Wav pumps, since apex control is pretty important to me, and I'd prefer to mount them on the back of my tank angled towards the middle. Hopefully any issues of reliability have been resolved. I know the earlier ones had a bad reputation.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know about the MP40’s or lasting long, I did just replace mine. But they are from 2011 so I got 10 years out of them, I do t think that’s bad for my return.
however, I’m not saying Tunze dont last long as I ran them before MP40’s were out and they are bulletproof and Roger is great to deal with.

corey

Spartan1218

Lost on Aisle 18
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently went with some Sicce pumps since they are now fully Apex friendly. Didn't want to get the Wav due to all the bad reviews I saw. Plus, at 159 each, it was pretty good deal for me on Sicce. I looked at the wave maker from tunze too, but the theoretical additional tank stress doesn't give me warm fuzzies. Then again, my tank is also smaller than yours. I initially went MP40s, but that Mobius app.;Vomit

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently went with some Sicce pumps since they are now fully Apex friendly. Didn't want to get the Wav due to all the bad reviews I saw. Plus, at 159 each, it was pretty good deal for me on Sicce. I looked at the wave maker from tunze too, but the theoretical additional tank stress doesn't give me warm fuzzies. Then again, my tank is also smaller than yours. I initially went MP40s, but that Mobius app.;Vomit
I looked at some Sicce powerheads, but the Xstream SDC that I looked at only goes up to 2250gph which is lower than I was wanting. For the tunze what do you mean by the "theoretical additional tank stress"?

Spartan1218

Lost on Aisle 18
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at some Sicce powerheads, but the Xstream SDC that I looked at only goes up to 2250gph which is lower than I was wanting. For the tunze what do you mean by the "theoretical additional tank stress"?
making waves also makes weight...pushing extra weight against the sides over time was just not something I wanted to deal with even if it was far into the future or never. I just personally didn't want to worry about anything like that.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
making waves also makes weight...pushing extra weight against the sides over time was just not something I wanted to deal with even if it was far into the future or never. I just personally didn't want to worry about anything like that.
What makes the difference between the tunze and the sicce when it comes for force on the tank? Is it just because the gph is higher on the tunze?

Spartan1218

Lost on Aisle 18
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes the difference between the tunze and the sicce when it comes for force on the tank? Is it just because the gph is higher on the tunze?
That wave maker tower can slosh waves against the sides. To me, that is additional momentary weight. Over time, that could add up and that stress could cause issues.... or none at all. Your tank is bigger though, so maybe not as big a concern for wave sloshing. I liken it to when you go to the marine science museum and tip water from side to side in the containers. Same water volume, but more of it is against one side or the other at that moment. Though it isn't constant like if the tank isn't level, I can't get my brain to feel like it couldn't cause the same issues over time. That's just my brain though and could be wrong. Just something to think about and maybe look in to.

I am specifically referring to the tower wave generator and not their powerheads.

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came across this and wanted to say I like the wav. I have 2 in our 100 gallon with various settings throughout the day. I set fallback to off and tested by disconnecting and making sure they wouldn't blast at 100% it worked flawlessly, reboot and right back to patterns. Actually going to get to more I think.

Milkman420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know about the MP40’s or lasting long, I did just replace mine. But they are from 2011 so I got 10 years out of them, I do t think that’s bad for my return.
however, I’m not saying Tunze dont last long as I ran them before MP40’s were out and they are bulletproof and Roger is great to deal with.

corey
My tunes lasted 6 years and my mp40s lasted 10.5 actually and only reason they stopped working was due to my 2 year olds ripping the drivers off the sides of the tank and spinning them around like a lasso. I’m just happy they didn’t hit the glass with them cuz those drivers have some weight. Both were great products. But after getting 10.5 years out of the MPs I decided to get new ones with discounts from eco tech hopefully they last 10 more years which I would gladly pay every 10 years for set it and forget it reliability at least now that my kids know a little better lol. I am however considering adding either a gyre in the back middle or 2 tunze or wavs to get some more random movement and surface agitation.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back