WAV vs MP40

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am getting back into the game with a 155 gallon 48x30 with a center overflow. I have been debating what pumps to use for flow. Years ago I was running MP40's and WAV in my 300 peninsula. For this new build I was considering MP40's but My local store offered me a great deal on WAV pumps. 4x $125 each so it was a great deal. My tank will be completely automated with Apex so I do like the controllability with the WAV. I was able to find a used WXM for Ecotech lights and MP's if I go that route.

I am at a gridlock with deciding between the 2. the WAV vs MP40's. I got a such a great deal for 4 WAVS for the price of basically 1 MP40. I have been out of the hobby for about 6 years so I'm not sure how things have changed with the WAV pumps and the MP pumps. 1 negative on the MP's is Ecotech locking their controllability from the APEX and APEX discontinuing the WXM. I'm not sure witch route to go. Any issue with WAV pumps? I have read that the Ecotech apps are bad. Any opinions are appreciated

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is another situation where you can’t go wrong. Both push a lot of water and each have minor pros and cons. The WAV is more directional, the mp40 doesn’t have cords in the tank.

OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think this is another situation where you can’t go wrong. Both push a lot of water and each have minor pros and cons. The WAV is more directional, the mp40 doesn’t have cords in the tank.
Cords in the tank is a big thing. But I will say that that the cords on the WAV are really thin and the magnates are half the size. The Big drivers for the MP's on the outside of the tank are unsightly as well.. the debate goes on!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting back into the game with a 155 gallon 48x30 with a center overflow. I have been debating what pumps to use for flow. Years ago I was running MP40's and WAV in my 300 peninsula. For this new build I was considering MP40's but My local store offered me a great deal on WAV pumps. 4x $125 each so it was a great deal. My tank will be completely automated with Apex so I do like the controllability with the WAV. I was able to find a used WXM for Ecotech lights and MP's if I go that route.

I am at a gridlock with deciding between the 2. the WAV vs MP40's. I got a such a great deal for 4 WAVS for the price of basically 1 MP40. I have been out of the hobby for about 6 years so I'm not sure how things have changed with the WAV pumps and the MP pumps. 1 negative on the MP's is Ecotech locking their controllability from the APEX and APEX discontinuing the WXM. I'm not sure witch route to go. Any issue with WAV pumps? I have read that the Ecotech apps are bad. Any opinions are appreciated
Did you ever decide on which powerheads to get. I'm going through the same thing and trying to learn from someone else's experience. Also, at $125 per Wav were they used?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like and use the RedSea ReefWaves. However, 4 WAVs for $500 can't be beat - I'd snag them. Worst case you can always resell them and get your money out of them (and possibly even make a small profit) for something else.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like and use the RedSea ReefWaves. However, 4 WAVs for $500 can't be beat - I'd snag them. Worst case you can always resell them and get your money out of them (and possibly even make a small profit) for something else.
If new it seems too cheap, if used still a fair price if not very old.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents having run 2 WAVs in my 300g DT and conversations with Neptune. The WAVs are extremely powerful pumps and even at 10%, move a great deal of water and will blow coral off the rocks (personal experience). And the one time that they lost connection with Apex, they destroyed numerous corals due to the amount and strength of the flow.
Although they can be tuned, even at 1% they are spinning at 50% RPMs... It's not a direct correlation b/w RPMs and % flow in the Apex (direct from the support team at Neptune).
They are easy to clean and as others noted, the magnet is thin and the cords are not unsightly.
I would definitely buy them again. Just know that they are significantly more powerful than meets the eye

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents having run 2 WAVs in my 300g DT and conversations with Neptune. The WAVs are extremely powerful pumps and even at 10%, move a great deal of water and will blow coral off the rocks (personal experience). And the one time that they lost connection with Apex, they destroyed numerous corals due to the amount and strength of the flow.
Although they can be tuned, even at 1% they are spinning at 50% RPMs... It's not a direct correlation b/w RPMs and % flow in the Apex (direct from the support team at Neptune).
They are easy to clean and as others noted, the magnet is thin and the cords are not unsightly.
I would definitely buy them again. Just know that they are significantly more powerful than meets the eye
Do they always default to higher flow if they drop communication with Apex? If so that seems like a flaw. Can they be programmed to where they fallback is a low percentage or completely off if the tank is okay without that flow?

Last edited:

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. Last I checked they defaulted to "fallback: On"
I recently read in another thread that the COR pump can be set to fallback to x%, but haven't tried it on the WAVs yet.
Since that episode, I have mine set to "fallback off" just to be safe.
Maybe @SuncrestReef knows?

They literally blew the tentacles off my frogspawn that was in the middle of the tank and nowhere near the powerhead...

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently read in another thread that the COR pump can be set to fallback to x%, but haven't tried it on the WAVs yet.

They literally blew the tentacles off my frogspawn that was in the middle of the tank and nowhere near the powerhead...
I have 2 gyres in my tank so as long as I can set them to off when disconnected then that isn't too big of a deal for me.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the always default to higher flow if they drop communication with Apex? If so that seems like a flaw. Can they be programmed to where they fallback is a low percentage or completely off if the tank is okay without that flow?

The WAV supports percentages and profiles with the Fallback command. Examples:

Fallback ON -- this will run the WAV at constant 100%
Fallback 30 -- runs the WAV at constant 30%
Fallback WAV_Profile -- runs the WAV at the pre-defined settings in the profile named WAV_Profile

Here's a screenshot of a WAV profile.
Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 10.13.00 AM.png

WAV Profiles support the full variety of patterns:
  • Constant
  • Mavericks
  • Malibu
  • Pulse
  • Pipeline
  • Rincon
  • Trestles
  • Mirror
  • Inverse
  • Back
Read more about Fallback here: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?8510-All-About-FALLBACK

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The WAV supports percentages and profiles with the Fallback command. Examples:

Fallback ON -- this will run the WAV at constant 100%
Fallback 30 -- runs the WAV at constant 30%
Fallback WAV_Profile -- runs the WAV at the pre-defined settings in the profile named WAV_Profile

Here's a screenshot of a WAV profile.
Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 10.13.00 AM.png

WAV Profiles support the full variety of patterns:
  • Constant
  • Mavericks
  • Malibu
  • Pulse
  • Pipeline
  • Rincon
  • Trestles
  • Mirror
  • Inverse
  • Back
Read more about Fallback here: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?8510-All-About-FALLBACK
Thanks. You truly are an asset to the reefing community.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back