Neptune WAVs... noisy? (or, more accurately, vibrating, creating a "deep bass" almost resonance)

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hi all!

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

I recently got two Neptune WAVs to add to my Reefer 350... I had one ReefWave 45, and wanted another, but switched to the WAVs because I liked the integration with my Apex.

Long story short, the ReefWave was nearly silent! The WAVs vibrate quite a bit, and the stand of the 350 almost becomes a speaker/sub-woofer enclosure and produces a deep rumbling. I've tried changing the intensity of the WAVs (they are STRONG!) and have them running Mavericks up to 30%. But they vibrate anywhere in the 1-80% range. Over 80% they seem more stable, but they blow everything around. :p I currently have them on the back upper corners, pointing down and toward the sides.

Do I have bad WAVs, or do the majority of WAVs vibrate?

Thanks for reading my novel. I'm struggling with selling these and getting another ReefWave 45.

Jesse

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

I recently got two Neptune WAVs to add to my Reefer 350... I had one ReefWave 45, and wanted another, but switched to the WAVs because I liked the integration with my Apex.

Long story short, the ReefWave was nearly silent! The WAVs vibrate quite a bit, and the stand of the 350 almost becomes a speaker/sub-woofer enclosure and produces a deep rumbling. I've tried changing the intensity of the WAVs (they are STRONG!) and have them running Mavericks up to 30%. But they vibrate anywhere in the 1-80% range. Over 80% they seem more stable, but they blow everything around. :p I currently have them on the back upper corners, pointing down and toward the sides.

Do I have bad WAVs, or do the majority of WAVs vibrate?

Thanks for reading my novel. I'm struggling with selling these and getting another ReefWave 45.

Jesse
When I was running them I didn't think they were any louder than any of the similar sized pumps. Mine were the opposite though....pretty quiet running anything lower than 50%, getting louder from there.

OP
OP
Jesse Sunday

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
As an update... I tore down the mounts and repositioned the rubber pegs and bands that attach the head to the water-side mount. Most of the "pegs" had come out of their hole and it's helped a little. Also, I attached them in different positions (LEFT is back glass, top left and the RIGHT is on the back middle side glass)

Still don't think I'll keep the WAVs, but at least they're quieter now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back