Red Sea Reefer 3XL 900 G2+ Noob Build

ze_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am new to saltwater. I started my first saltwater tank back in October of ‘22 with a used but in good condition Red Sea Reefer 350 first generation. The tank was all running good until late August last year when the front seams gave up and started to leak, I lost some frags but most of the fish and invertebrates survived, they’re now housed in a temporary 29g display tank with a 10g sump.

So me and my wife decided to save up and get a bigger brand new tank. We initially planned to get the Red Sea Reefer 750 G2+ but chose the 3XL 900 G2+ instead. I purchased it from a friend @maramotreef, who is also a Red Sea dealer out of California. I went with Red Sea again because I love the looks of their tanks and the ease of putting all plumbing and accessories together, the parts are also readily available if you need to replace something. The glass is 3/4 inch thick and now has a metal front lip that will support the front glass panel. It also has the armored seams to protect the seals from the glass scraper. One more thing I love about it is because I don’t have to modify the sump anymore to accommodate the Reefmat.

The tank was delivered on January 5th this year after only about a week of waiting time. It’s been sitting in my garage for about 2 weeks now, waiting for somebody who can help me lift the heavy tank (500lbs) onto the stand of which I’ve assembled already. Some friends came over to help but since there isn’t much clearance around the tank (only 6 inches both sides), it proved to be a difficult undertaking. I have contacted an LFS to see if they could help me with the task and said they’ll try to come over as soon. If any of you have ideas on what is the best way to do this, please share your thoughts, it’ll be greatly appreciated.

I’m also thinking about installing a check swing/spring valve for my return plumbing, what would you suggest is the best one?

I guess that’s it for now, I will update this thread as soon as I progress with this build.

Here’s some details of the equipment that I already have and what I’m planning to acquire in the future:

Red Sea Reefer 3XL 900 G2+ (240g total water volume)
• display tank, stand (black), main sump + extension sump
• ReefATO+
•2 Reefwave 45
•3 Ecotech Vortech MP40 (planning to get 1 more and MXM module)
•2 ReefLED 160S with mounting arms (planning to get 1 more)
• Sicce Syncra SDC 9.0 return pump, Neptune COR15 (for pumping the UV sterilizer and reactors)
•Neptune Apex A3 Pro with 1 EB832 Energy Bar and 3 EB8
•Neptune Trident with Temp, ORP and PH probes
•Neptune WXM module
•2 Neptune 3/4” flow sensors to monitor flow to the UV sterilizer
•Neptune AFS
• Reef Octopus Regal 150SS, planning to get a bigger capacity skimmer like the Red Sea RSK 900 or similar
• 2 Neptune DOS with 1 DDR, planning to get 1 Reefdose 4 to dose Trace Colors
• FloodGuardian to fill up ATO reservoir from RODI system
•Tunze Osmolator 3155 backup ATO
•Tunze MAR 3181 Macroalgae Reactor
•6 stage 150gpd RODI system with Smart Buddie booster
•10 gallon custom acrylic ATO reservoir
•Hanna Marine Master and individual Hanna Checkers for redundancy
•Assorted Aquaforest rocks, Reefsaver rocks and Fiji rocks for the scape (I have about 300 pounds total)
•120lbs Caribsea livesand

What I plan to get soon:
•Reefmat 1200
•Aqua UV Sterilizer 40watts
•Reefdose 4
•Red Sea Skimmer 900 or similar
•Algae Scrubber
•battery backup
•Custom lid
•Flipper Max

I can’t think of anything more, if you have any thoughts, any recommendations of what I’m missing or any advice/critique, please let me know. I am just a newbie and I still have lots to learn. Thank you all for reading my thread.

IMG_1137.jpeg IMG_1144.jpeg IMG_1157.jpeg IMG_1164.jpeg IMG_1206.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am impressed you decided to get another Red Sea system - I have a reefer 350 and would never buy another, if only because i HATED assembling the stand with a BURNING PASSION! I'd literally rather build a new stand from scratch with 2x4, and in fact have done that for my frag system :grinning-squinting-face:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start to you build!! :)

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Right now I’m thinking ahead of the aquascape so I can start putting them together, would you mind sharing your thoughts?
I'm a more rock more better person for aquascapes. Think it makes for lots of happy holes for the fish. Thia is my tank a feq months ago. Got a few more and bigger coral now but more or less the same. Variability in hight with lots of nooks. Its a 120 with maybe 220 pounds of rock in it. Personally love having them with gaps and watching the more pecky fish weave through. Again though, totally personal preference
1000004318.jpg

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm in broomfield....you are gonna want to get some of the big suction cups to ease in moving the tank. pm me and i can help you borrow some.

OP
OP
ze_reef

ze_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm in broomfield....you are gonna want to get some of the big suction cups to ease in moving the tank. pm me and i can help you borrow some.
Thank you David! Yes, I’ve been wanting to get some of those suction glass cups! I’ll send you a message.

OP
OP
ze_reef

ze_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a more rock more better person for aquascapes. Think it makes for lots of happy holes for the fish. Thia is my tank a feq months ago. Got a few more and bigger coral now but more or less the same. Variability in hight with lots of nooks. Its a 120 with maybe 220 pounds of rock in it. Personally love having them with gaps and watching the more pecky fish weave through. Again though, totally personal preference
1000004318.jpg
Thank you! I’m considering putting as much rock as I can because I know fish will be happy with all the nooks and crannies to hide into but then I also like the minimalist look like a branch with SPS on top, kinda like the reef of the month this month look.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’m considering putting as much rock as I can because I know fish will be happy with all the nooks and crannies to hide into but then I also like the minimalist look like a branch with SPS on top, kinda like the reef of the month this month look.
That's the more modern and esthetically pleasing way to do it! In the modern era the consensus is you don't NEED as much rock as we used to think/you can put some of it in your sump if you really want. I think either option will be a good call! I'd just tailor your fish choices around some of the scape decisions you make! Minimalism is definitely in, and I see the appeal

OP
OP
ze_reef

ze_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am impressed you decided to get another Red Sea system - I have a reefer 350 and would never buy another, if only because i HATED assembling the stand with a BURNING PASSION! I'd literally rather build a new stand from scratch with 2x4, and in fact have done that for my frag system :grinning-squinting-face:
I’ve pondered a lot about it, I went to a lot of LFS around my area to see actual newer versions of the Red Sea Reefer tanks and I’m convinced they’ve improved the quality of their tanks, also the aluminum lip that supports the front glass panel, I think that fixed the busting tanks issue. I just love how easy it is to work the plumbing of the Red Sea tanks and also getting whatever replacement parts I need. Building the stand wasn’t too bad for me, I managed assembling it without any help. Thanks and happy reefing!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new system but I'm really curious how you will get a 500 pound tank in that tight space?

OP
OP
ze_reef

ze_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new system but I'm really curious how you will get a 500 pound tank in that tight space?
Thank you! Yes, it’s really a challenge but the mover guy said he’s gonna try lifting the tank with a lift table, raise it a little above the stand then use wooden blocks to support the tank as we slide it in. I dunno, it doesn’t sound so promising but we’ll try, if it doesn’t work then I’ll have to find another spot in my living room.

OP
OP
ze_reef

ze_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting for the pros to mount the tank (hopefully this week), I went ahead and setup an aquascaping station in my garage. I pulled out the rocks I have and set them all down on the floor hoping a good design idea will just pop into my mind.

I have a mix of reefsaver, stax and aquaforest rocks (base, shelf, arches and bits and pieces). I also have some Fiji rocks in the storage but I think this will be enough for now. I will be using some CA glue, waterweld epoxy and E-Marco 400 cement if needed.

Any suggestions, thoughts? Thank you!
IMG_1273.jpeg IMG_1274.jpeg IMG_1275.jpeg IMG_1276.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back