Wave maker recommendation

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I’ll be setting up a 6x2.5x2.5 feet sps dominated tank. Not very familiar with flows, so I’m looking for advice what are the good and suitable ones to get? Gyre mix with mps?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I’ll be setting up a 6x2.5x2.5 feet sps dominated tank. Not very familiar with flows, so I’m looking for advice what are the good and suitable ones to get? Gyre mix with mps?
Flow is such a hard thing to guide on during the build stage; and it will have to be adapted down the line as your coral start to grow - especially with SPS! It's not a one-size-fits-all approach sadly..

Have you made your scape yet- and have you made up your mind which corals you want- and where you want to place them? Then you can start to think about what flow is needed to support them the best you can.

There's no "these are better than these" when it comes to powerheads sadly. It's about the right tool for the right job.

In my tank, I have 2 x ReefWave45 vertically on my back wall for good circulation; and 4 x MP40's in total (two on each side of the glass!) making a strong crest during the day and a more subtle lagoon style flow during the night. Somewhat overkill in a 4 foot tank- I got some of them cheap. This might very well not be the solution for you though.

Talk us through your plans- and share a picture of your tank and scape! Then we can help.. :)

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did find this video fairly informative when I watched it. There's a ton of information out there that can help you in the right direction as to what kind of flow is best for you :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back