Wave Maker Size

Riggins76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 37 gallon tall and skinny fish tank. (12”W x 30” L x 22”T) I bought the following wave maker on Amazon:

LYPHARD AQUARIUMS Wave Maker for Aquarium Tank, 2380GPH Power Head 40-80 Gal Circulation Pump Ultra Silence, 360° Rotating Fish Tank Submersible Water Pump, Single Head https://a.co/d/02AgQ3U

Is this too powerful for the 2 Clown Fish I just put in? They are the first and only fish in the tank and I plan on later on putting in some coral but didn’t know if it was too powerful for the fish and eventually the coral. Any help would be appreciate.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 37 gallon tall and skinny fish tank. (12”W x 30” L x 22”T) I bought the following wave maker on Amazon:

LYPHARD AQUARIUMS Wave Maker for Aquarium Tank, 2380GPH Power Head 40-80 Gal Circulation Pump Ultra Silence, 360° Rotating Fish Tank Submersible Water Pump, Single Head https://a.co/d/02AgQ3U

Is this too powerful for the 2 Clown Fish I just put in? They are the first and only fish in the tank and I plan on later on putting in some coral but didn’t know if it was too powerful for the fish and eventually the coral. Any help would be appreciate.
Most wave makers have settings that you can control patterns and strength. It really comes down to the kind of corals you want to keep and their flow requirements! I would put it in and adjust it as needed, clowns like flow but if they are getting blow around the tank thats a good indicator its too strong. I only use red sea wave makers because the app makes it very easy to set up, so Im not too familiar with the one you got off amazon

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most wave makers have settings that you can control patterns and strength. It really comes down to the kind of corals you want to keep and their flow requirements! I would put it in and adjust it as needed, clowns like flow but if they are getting blow around the tank thats a good indicator its too strong. I only use red sea wave makers because the app makes it very easy to set up, so Im not too familiar with the one you got off amazon
Okay so its more a pump for circulation than a wave maker. This one looks like you just aim it where you want, so I would aim it so you get the most water circulation!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a pump, but I think you want a powerhead or wavemaker instead for your display tank. For a 37 gallon tank, you want something about 500 gph minimum for a 10x turnover rate minimum, my own tanks run at about 30x-40x turnover. You can buy a cheap powerhead that has one setting, or you can buy an expensive powerhead which allows you to control to speed. Usually its better to have at least 2 powerheads in a tank to create random water flow instead of linear water flow.

OP
OP
R

Riggins76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a pump, but I think you want a powerhead or wavemaker instead for your display tank. For a 37 gallon tank, you want something about 500 gph minimum for a 10x turnover rate minimum, my own tanks run at about 30x-40x turnover. You can buy a cheap powerhead that has one setting, or you can buy an expensive powerhead which allows you to control to speed. Usually its better to have at least 2 powerheads in a tank to create random water flow instead of linear water flow.
Thanks for your comments. I appreciate it. I am ok at math but I am not sure I under stand what you mean by turnover rate at 10x. Are you saying that 37x10 is 370 GPH turnover so 500 GPH would cover that? I assume so but just want to make sure I am not missing something in the equation. Additionally, when you say 30-40x, is as simple as adding the pumps together to get up to that 30-40x? For example (assuming it’s all based on size of tank) 37 gal x 40 = 1480 ~ 1500gph needed. 1500gph/2 pumps = 750gph/ pump. Is this a correct assumption?

OP
OP
R

Riggins76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so its more a pump for circulation than a wave maker. This one looks like you just aim it where you want, so I would aim it so you get the most water circulation!
Thanks for both of your comments. I think you are right so I may save this pump/circulator for another tank on down the line lol.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your comments. I appreciate it. I am ok at math but I am not sure I under stand what you mean by turnover rate at 10x. Are you saying that 37x10 is 370 GPH turnover so 500 GPH would cover that? I assume so but just want to make sure I am not missing something in the equation. Additionally, when you say 30-40x, is as simple as adding the pumps together to get up to that 30-40x? For example (assuming it’s all based on size of tank) 37 gal x 40 = 1480 ~ 1500gph needed. 1500gph/2 pumps = 750gph/ pump. Is this a correct assumption?
yes, yes, and yes, exactly.

OP
OP
R

Riggins76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, yes, and yes, exactly
Awesome sauce. Do you happen to have any specific recommendations for manufacture's? I know there are probably millions out their but don't know if you have any preference to one brand. If not no worries just thought I would ask. Thanks again for all help.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome sauce. Do you happen to have any specific recommendations for manufacture's? I know there are probably millions out their but don't know if you have any preference to one brand. If not no worries just thought I would ask. Thanks again for all help.
yes there are probably millions, lol, its very hard to advise someone on this, it depends on how much you want to spend really.

Its just my own preference, but for cheaper ones are that non-controllable, I like the sicce voyagers. For controllable powerheads, I've tried tunze and jebao, both have good reputations. But there are so many more, its hard to advise.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back