Wave makers...

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I need some opinions..

The Maxspect Gyre's.....are they really worth it? Looking hard at the Maxspect Gyre XF230...for my 65 gal.

Just seems like a lotta cash, have to lie about how much to the hubby o0...but the cheapo wave makers Ive been trying just arnt doing it. I was going to jump all over that clone one, but the reviews really arnt great on that.

Schwabie33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which clone is it that you were considering the jaboe/jecod crossflow or the icecap 3k?

First let me start by saying I'm a maxspect light owner and love them but to be honest the reviews for the maxspect gyre are not great either.

What size tank are you running and what's your goals with flow? What pumps do you currently have?

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought (2) XF230 for my 90 g a couple months ago. I had been buying and replacing jebao RW-15 powerheads that seem to die just a hair after 1 year. I have to say I'm very happy with them. Very quiet. I tried ecotech MP40 several years ago and the ramp up/down noise was unbearable in my living room. New QD version is likely quieter, but they are twice as much money as these Gyres. I'd highly recommend

OP
OP
Untamedrose

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clone was the Jaboe https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-Jecod-...TF8&qid=1490331655&sr=8-12&keywords=wavemaker 61% 1 stars...is a serious maybe not.

Tanks a 65 gal mix reef....which ATM basically has nothing as another cheap pump died on me. Got the return pump flow and a few tiny wave makers puffing away lighter then I breath so...I got nothing.

What Im wanting ....is well low profile decent flow for a basic reef tank. I dont need to bang everything around...but but air puffs isnt cutting it

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao's pp line of wave makers are great for the price. Have some nice features too. I have thankfully had no problems, but there are people who have.

Schwabie33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I run ecotechs and the qd upgrade / series are 100% different in terms of flow and noise, I stick by mine and swear by them, even tho they have some flaws the quality and customer service can't be beat.

If you looking for a good quiet powerful wAvemaker check out the sicce voyager 2s they can't be bought with 2 wavemakers and controller for around $200-$240

I've really been considering switching to the rossmont pumps, 2 wavemakers and controller is just under $400.

Ou8me2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jebao crossflows are junk IMHO and that's coming from a person who uses Jebao return pumps and wavemakers without issue for close to a year now. I guess it really depends on what features you need or want and actually the Icecap3k uses maxspect technology but has a few caveats also. If you can live without Apex support, having to have 1 controller for each gyre, less flow modes then the Icecap3k could be right for you. Those are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head. Plus the price is right I think for the Icecap 3k gyre at about $150.00

I actually like mine and I think for what it is that it fits the bill for me.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Gyre 150 for over a year, and a 250 for a couple of months. No problems with either so far.

Had a Crossflow. Under six months, and it's a paperweight. It's not a very good looking paperweight.

~Bruce

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Jecod CP40 and Now I am using Two Gyre XF250 with the new controller which is amazing with the features.

Gyre XF 250 - built is better compare to Jecod and also to be careful while removing and re-fitting for cleaning

Jecod CP 40 - Worked very well with me with a good vinegar cleaning every two months. I have used it for about 8 months. The built is so sensitive and while removing and re-fitting for cleaning you should be very patient and careful. It has very less flow options compared to new Gyre but the flow is descent and good.

In general most of the wave maker will be fine with proper maintenance, I believe. Apart from this like "Ou8me@" has said it fully depends on what you expect out of it.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bringin this one back up.. looking to get a pair of xf 150. what is the best way to control them with the apex fusion 9 (newest model I meant) .. thanks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back