Wavebox- What am I doing wrong?

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently posted this in the DIY forum, but got little traction, so thought I would post it on here. Yesterday I made a wavebox out of 1/8 acrylic and a Tunze 6105 pump. When I put it in action, it would only functionally operate at 20% pulsing at 2sec on, 2 sec off. It accomplishes it objective, but at a very weak output. I made the box12''H x 5.5'' W 5'' D, which is similar to Tunze's 6214 wavebox. The pump was flipped upside down to reduce air from getting sucked in, which again is similar to Tunze's design. Other than a box capacity issue I dont see how the wavebox could handle the amount of flow that I'm wanting to create an optimal wave. Am I missing something? 20% output on a 6105 pump seems awfully weak for a wavebox. 54”x33”x25” tank.
IMG_8306.jpeg

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big wave box fan and I find that the timing has far more to do with dialing in the wave than the speed. I think the timing may not be perfect for your tank. Dialing in the wave has become difficult since Tunze switched to the integrated controller and I think this is your major issue.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the tunze wave controller? My pumps are on 100% and I just move the wave controller slowly until the wave is where I want it. You have to set the controller on the pump to external control - they don't do waves.

2 seconds on and then off seems like a lot to me.

The Tunze 7092 is what you want.

Edit: a box like that and the 6105 can probably splash water out of that tank once you get the right timing. You will know when it is working.

Last edited:

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the tunze wave controller? My pumps are on 100% and I just move the wave controller slowly until the wave is where I want it. You have to set the controller on the pump to external control - they don't do waves.

The new waveboxes no longer ship with the wave controller so you have to use the pump controller which is a nightmare.

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit: a box like that and the 6105 can probably splash water out of that tank once you get the right timing. You will know when it is working.
I’ve read in the past where you thought wavebox’s weren’t ideal for short and cube style aquariums. Do you think 54” is long enough for a wavebox to be effective? Given the 33” depth, do you think I’d need two to get an effective wave? I understand it’s hard to give a true answer to this, but if you had to “guess” given prior experiences.
Really just wondering if the added purchase of a controller would be worth my while or a waste.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think that it will work. I have used them on 36 inch tanks. They did not work well for me on 24x24x24 60 gallon cubes, and tanks like that.

If you ever see 6100s or the older 6015s without the built-in controller, these are great wavebox pumps since you need the wave controller anyway. I snatch them up and inventory them - they are usually cheap.

My snails like to climb in. I would put the screen on there.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this would be helpful for you here or not, but:
Hi Reefers. Its been few weeks i was Searching for some details on a DIY Wave Box , but couldnt find simple detailed making procedure specially on youtube or r2r. Therefore I decided to Try to make one myself with Hit and Trial and It Worked Wonderfully. Here are some details
1. Using a Used Jebao SW-15 Wave Maker which has its own Controller therefore no exclusive controller is needed.
2. All You need is a , minimum SW-15 powered wave-maker as smaller will not work as i experienced with RW-4 etc>
3. A simple 4x4x11 Acrylic is needed to cut , Glue and make a Wave Box>
4. You can Find Detailed Video on Youtube at my Youtube Channel " MQReef " or Full Make Video at Link
5. Search Youtube for DIY Wave Box in Reef Tank
6. I Admire Jebao for making such a powerful pump and budget option for us.

20220113_170345.jpg Reef 14 Jan.jpg

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wave is kinda weird. The crossing corners rise and fall together rather than left to right. Is that usual? Just wanting to make sure it’s dialed in right?

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you don't quite have the timing right. When I have this it is normally too fast of a pulse.
Hm.. any longer and bubbles start shooting out. I see what you mean regarding the pump controller now. The auto adjust feature really does make things more difficult.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I dial in the wave with the auto adjust I normally get this half wave like you have first and then get the more normal complete wave that you are used to seeing a bit later as the pulses slow down.

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok, I got it. Had to turn down the power to 80% to allow for a longer pulse. Thought I was going crazy there for a moment lol. Thanks

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get it? Yeah, longer pulses. That wave can be kinda fun too, but not usually what people are looking for.
Yea I got it dialed in now. It really does move water everywhere. It’s a keeper that’s for sure.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back