Wavemaker Settings

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wavemaker has a night setting that sets both pumps to minimal power. My question or concern rather is at night my pumps dont create any real disturbance on the waters surface. Is this a potential problem with the exchange of gases or does my overflow create enough water break to not be a problem??

Travis D.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it could be good and bad-
good cuz all the junk adheres the water surface and the overflow should draw it down to your skimmer.

Bad because heavy junk will settle on the bottom and some corals feed at nite so high flow is needed to bring food to the corals.

Just my thoughts and im sure someone can help you by giving you a better answer than me.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The currents in the oceans don't necessarily stop at night. Imo just let them cycle normally.

OP
OP
LeoLionFish

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not stopping the current. According to the specifications of my pump I still have about 2,000 gph turnover happening at this minimal night setting. The only thing is because of how my heads are placed it doesnt create any surface break in the water except at my overflows ofcourse.

Travis D.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont like using night modes .. your corals use the currents to "breath" and eat how would u like it if at night someone turned down your oxygen. this is not just my opinion but ive read several articles explaining how the corals use the current to bring them oxygen and food so slowing down at night when they feed the most is counter productive. i cant find this big article i read in reefkeeping mag online talking about it. but for your question with a overflow and a sump and especially a skimmer long as your tanks water is turning over it should be getting plenty of gas exchange without heavy surface movement. cause even on slow as the water moves around it will create some movement at top anyway.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you need to worry about gas exchange when they ramp down. Like mentioned above, with your overflow and skimmer you have that taken care of. Another thing to think about is this gives your fish a chance to have a break and get a good nights sleep. :)

sent from chris using my unsmart phone

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night mode is good for corals and fish. Someone said that they don't get food or o2 with low current. Maybe for the o2 but This is not true for feeding there is lots of pods and other things in the water you can't see that the coral feed on. And low current give the polyp time to grab them and in high current it will take it away. This more true with sps. And also alote more to it then this. As we know corals feed off lots of stuff in the water.

OP
OP
LeoLionFish

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so... I like the lower night setting because it slows the flow down enough to give fish a break and it gives my corals a chance to grab food from the water easier. To alleviate the surface standing "still" I pointed one of my return lines up a little to "sweep" the waters surface and not form that bio slick.

Travis D.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back