Wavemaker with no electrical wires in tank

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to see if there are any other wavemakers, other than Vortech, that have no electrical wires inside the aquarium.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Unfortunately, I don’t think there are wavemakers other than vortechs. They have a patent, so that’s why I’m guessing no one could make one similar to vortechs. I have MP40s and they are well worth the price and can last for a long time if that’s what bothering you.

OP
OP
A

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I don’t think there are wavemakers other than vortechs. They have a patent, so that’s why I’m guessing no one could make one similar to vortechs. I have MP40s and they are well worth the price and can last for a long time if that’s what bothering you.
Thanks. I'm a complete beginner so not sure if I should start off with something cheaper and once I get a hang of everything get something nicer. I would love to have the wire hidden so that is my driving factor to Vectra.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks. I'm a complete beginner so not sure if I should start off with something cheaper and once I get a hang of everything get something nicer. I would love to have the wire hidden so that is my driving factor to Vectra.
If you are planning to have many corals (especially SPS) in the future, vortech is a no brainer as it won’t create heat in the tank and no wires. I did go with a cheap powerhead when I first started, but it was a waste of money as it died quickly and had to upgrade.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, your only option for that type of power head is a vortech. If you don’t want to invest that kind of money yet, there are other options (more than enough to list) that are well made and direct competitors, besides the well designed external power cord.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the vortechs adjustable in the tank? i.e. can you point them in a certain direction?
There are some aftermarket shields that can help direct flow, but they’re not adjustable other than repositioning and changing the programming.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back