Waving hand anthelia dying

Resilient

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some waving hand anthelia around a month ago. It had some ups and downs. Started looking like it recovered after shipping and was just starting to attach and now it seems to have died. I have LPS, SPS and Zoas in the tank and they are all doing fine. It was in reasonably good flow. The one concern I have is that it seems to have an unusually large collection of microfauna on it. They are too small to show up on my camera, but are there any small pests I should look out for? They are very mobile and move quite a bit and have a brown to orangish coloration.

They look similar to what I think are good copepods that run around on the sand, there are just a high concentration of them on the base of this guy. There also seem to be some on a Palythoa that is doing ok, but seems to close up some days. So I am wondering if I have some sort of pest that I need to deal with.

PXL_20240328_180421956.jpg

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank from this pictures looks very new. Anthelia and xenias and some soft corals don’t like when there isn’t enough nutrients in the water.

So the question is , before anyone can help you is :
1-what are your parameters?
2-how old is your system?

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quickly searched and look like the tank is up starting late Jan.......regardless.....parameters would help...especially nitrate and phosphates

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Doh, of course I should have posted those...

Mg 1340
Ca 410
KH 8.4
pH 8.4
Nitrates 1ppm
Phosphates 0.02ppm

2. Set up at essentially the beginning of the year, so about 3 months now. There have been no major change in parameters after the 1st month.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back