ways of getting flow in tall tank?

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I bought a tank from a member on here (thanks again ironman) and I can't figure out how I am gonna get flow in it. the dimensions are 20x22x30tall. I am gonna run a sump if that makes a difference. I am trying to be cost efficient, but I am also don't want to skimp on it. I am not buying the vortech system. it's way to expensive for me.

I found this
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4588+10668&pcatid=10668

I was wondering if that would be a good method of making an alternating current with pvc pipe and running it all off the pump from the sump? would that be a good method?

another method i was considering was korilas with a normal wavemaker instead of the whole programable system. It would come out to about 140 dollars in powerheads and another 50 for a wavemaker. It would be the 2nd cheapest way.

the other way I was considering was a closed loop system with the same thing as in the first option. It would be just as expensive as the 2nd option, but it has the ability to have different things added on to it. just don't know it is worth all the work to do the piping.

so does anyone have any suggestions?

I am open to ideas, just realize that I am not looking to spend 600 dollars on flow alone.

92GallonReefer

It Is What It Is
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you went with the first option you would be limited of the flow going into the tank because the drain could only handle so much gph. on the second option i think i remember somewhere someone said that the koralias couldnt handle the constant on and off of the wave maker. if i where you I would go with the closed loop because of addon features and expandability. It wouldnt be too exspensive and is not too hard to do. The only thing to worry about is the drilling!!!!

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 65, which is a bit on the tall side. My rockwork is open in the back so detritus doesn't collect there. I put a Korallia 3 on one side, low and in the back. It moves water in a circular motion around the bottom half of the tank. With two alternating returns from the top and aimed at the front glass, I get nice movement throughout the water column without stuff settling at the bottom.
Gary

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a few people who tried the SCWD. Most liked it at the beginning. A couple had problems right off the bat, and others had them leak after several months. A better alternative would be the Oceansmotions lineup. The OM Squirt won't break the bank.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is use the 3/4-in. SCWD on my 65, driven by a Mag 12. It's been running almost a year without problems. This past weekend I pulled it out, soaked it in vinegar, rinsed it and re-installed it. No leaks, no problems. It has performed beautifully for me.
Gary

Now that I've said that I'll get home tonight and find that it has either locked up or leaked. Such is reefing.

OP
OP
J

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you went with the first option you would be limited of the flow going into the tank because the drain could only handle so much gph. on the second option i think i remember somewhere someone said that the koralias couldnt handle the constant on and off of the wave maker. if i where you I would go with the closed loop because of addon features and expandability. It wouldnt be too exspensive and is not too hard to do. The only thing to worry about is the drilling!!!!

well I would just be doing the whole thing with pvc no drilling.

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an oceans motions sea swirl for cheap if you want it. It would alternate the current in the top of the water and you could use the closed loop or koralias in the bottom.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back