Ways to clean HOB overflow?

City_Boy_Jay

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2022
Messages
67
Reaction score
76
Location
Arlington
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a HOB powerflow 800 overflow. It’s overdue for a clean. Mostly because I’m scared to mess something up with having ask much expensive coral in the tank. New tank isn’t set up yet so need to keep this one healthy. All help is appreciated! 8CCAE1D0-F6D9-4A85-AB18-CABEFEF3759B.jpeg
 
I have a HOB powerflow 800 overflow. It’s overdue for a clean. Mostly because I’m scared to mess something up with having ask much expensive coral in the tank. New tank isn’t set up yet so need to keep this one healthy. All help is appreciated! 8CCAE1D0-F6D9-4A85-AB18-CABEFEF3759B.jpeg
Very easy for me- Try this- I used a zip tie and tied a rag to the end of a small tape measure which is very flexible and extends 8 or 16 feet.
 
I actually meant best way to de
Very easy for me- Try this- I used a zip tie and tied a rag to the end of a small tape measure which is very flexible and extends 8 or 16 feet.
would you not remove it and then clean?
 
Seems simple to me, but I'm not there.
I would disconnect the hose at the sump, if it's attached there and lift the whole thing and take it to your sink and clean it.
Back before I had drilled tanks and used a HOB overflow, I don't remember cleaning anything except maybe the U-tube.


Maybe just take a small brush and scrub the walls inside and let the water push the detritus to the sump and cleaned up there?
 
I actually meant best way to de

would you not remove it and then clean?
For me on giants tanks would not be feasible but if removable, a baby bottle brush will do wonders
 
For me on giants tanks would not be feasible but if removable, a baby bottle brush will do wonders
My only concern is busting loose any potential bad algae in it and spreading it since it’s overdue for a clean. ?
 
My only concern is busting loose any potential bad algae in it and spreading it since it’s overdue for a clean. ?
Algae should be soft when wet and come off easily
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new