Ways to lower Nitrate

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s going on guys. So I have had so much trouble with high nitrates in my 120G. My nitrates are currently at 45-50 and some of my LPS is getting really stressed out. I’m getting frustrated because no matter what I do this number does not move. I also dose MB7 regularly and that doesn’t help either.
I am testing with salifert test kits and confirmed with a LFS testing my water for me. I have been doing routine weekly water changes for months 25-30% and still does nothing. I’m ready to resort to an additive like AZNO3. Has anybody had luck with this better or can suggest a better option?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using RoDi water for changes? If at 50 nitrate and you do a 25% water change it should drop it to 37 or so etc... what forms of export do you have? I dose NoPox daily in my tank but it keeps things stable without providing a reduction.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quickly skimmed through your other posts. What fish are in the tank and what are your nutrient export methods?

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s going on guys. So I have had so much trouble with high nitrates in my 120G. My nitrates are currently at 45-50 and some of my LPS is getting really stressed out. I’m getting frustrated because no matter what I do this number does not move. I also dose MB7 regularly and that doesn’t help either.
I am testing with salifert test kits and confirmed with a LFS testing my water for me. I have been doing routine weekly water changes for months 25-30% and still does nothing. I’m ready to resort to an additive like AZNO3. Has anybody had luck with this better or can suggest a better option?

I have no experience with the mentioned product. However, here are some methods for NO3 reduction:

• Reduced feeding (Balance this out as to not starve affected livestock)
  • Macroalgae introduction in Fuge/Sump
  • Carbon Dosing Method of some sort (manufactured or DIY)
  • Algae Turf Scrubber
Those are off the top of my head.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates in my 120 slowly climbed to 20+ as my tank matured.
I was running a Tunze 9410dc skimmer and it was just not keeping up.
I swapped it for a Tunze 9430dc which is considerably oversized for my system. Within a month no3 was reading <5 and has not increased.
My only other export is a 7" filter sock.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using RoDi water for changes? If at 50 nitrate and you do a 25% water change it should drop it to 37 or so etc... what forms of export do you have? I dose NoPox daily in my tank but it keeps things stable without providing a reduction.
I have a Refugium with chaeto and also a big 8x4 marine life block and about 15 marine life balls, and I have a reef octopus skimmer that’s already rated for bigger than my tank. And 2 filter socks also 200 micron

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quickly skimmed through your other posts. What fish are in the tank and what are your nutrient export methods?
Fish wise I have a big tang gang, a few wrasse, mandarin, chromis and a zebra eel which I recently got which I know is a messy eater. But I had the nitrate problem way before he came

BYU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try nopox but go slow
like 1/2-1/4 the recommended amount and test daily
it will work
also need to know your phosphates
they usually go hand in hand

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Refugium with chaeto and also a big 8x4 marine life block and about 15 marine life balls, and I have a reef octopus skimmer that’s already rated for bigger than my tank. And 2 filter socks also 200 micron
Seems like this can all be solved by the chaeto. Either by additional or maybe a better light?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaeto grows like a weed. Have to prune it every 2 weeks at least
Maybe excessive feeding then. Do you feed frozen? If so get a pulp strainer so you can discard the liquid once it thaws.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or like a previous post suggested and get an algae scrubber. I haven't used but many swear by them.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe excessive feeding then. Do you feed frozen? If so get a pulp strainer so you can discard the liquid once it thaws.
I do feed 2 times a day frozen and flakes and seaweed also. I do notice a fair amount of the frozen hits the bottom and goes to waste so that can be a big problem within itself right there I see. I’ll maybe try the pulp strainer

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feed 2 times a day frozen and flakes and seaweed also. I do notice a fair amount of the frozen hits the bottom and goes to waste so that can be a big problem within itself right there I see. I’ll maybe try the pulp strainer
The liquid left over once you thaw it is what I suggested getting rid of. Nothing to be eaten and full of nutrients. Feed slower to allow the fish to eat as much as possible. CuC should handle the rest. Discarding that liquid instead of putting it in the tank will make a noticeable difference.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinsing frozen food to reduce nutrients is a myth though.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've personally seen a difference in my tank just by not putting the water in used to thaw the food. Wouldn't spout nonsense if I hadn't seen the difference myself. If just dumped in you can visually see the oil slick left behind. That's organic matter that breaks down.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My typical success with lowering nitrates has always been simple . . . . Add a pouch of ChemiPure blue or Elite which will lower it and keep it in check as well as polishing your water

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try removing the filter sox and carbon dosing. Vodka, vinegar or a mix which is nopox.
Unless you change the sox every 3 days they can become a no3 source.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back