Ways to make my tank dirtier?..

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I have a 90 gallon display and a 30 gallon sump, only run a skimmer for nutrient export, 10% water change every 2 weeks)

I know this may be an unpopular take, or a dumb question, but I have 4 mexican turbo snails (large), a few other snails and crabs, 6 clowns, a diamond goby, and a tang now. I want more algae growth in the display, without a crash. Curious of what can be implemented.

I’m feeding more than I’m comfortable with, yet phosphates and nitrates aren’t skyrocketing. They system is “working”, but I’m concerned that the snails are starving and will die. I did have a hair algae bomb, but now it’s practically bone dry. I can see the little spurs of hair algae wanting to growth, but they don’t stand a chance. I want the tang to be able to graze.

These turbos are absolute beasts, I want to keep them, but maybe the 90 is too small for 4. These things cleaned my gyre 4k off to be brand new (it was flooded with GHA), going out of the water and on top of my return nozzles. Goby keeps the sand spotless, but I’d like to see more life in the sand.

Literal tennis balls on top of each other looking for food.. I use to clean the glass every day, but nothing. I bought a 25W UV for clarity, but figure that’ll be the last nail in the coffin.

IMG_5908.png

IMG_5909.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
You can turn off your skimmer. Stop doing water changes.
So can I trust that the algae will be the one to consume the excess nutrients, while maintaining a balance? Then skim as needed?

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine. How long are the lights on?
12 hours. A part of me thinks that the baby sprouts of algae that try to grow are enough for them, but they, to me, seem to be going far beyond what I would expect. My dream would be that it’s the perfect amount, but that’s hard to come across

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 hours. A part of me thinks that the baby sprouts of algae that try to grow are enough for them, but they, to me, seem to be going far beyond what I would expect. My dream would be that it’s the perfect amount, but that’s hard to come across
I mean I have more than you have but in a 48 gallon

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can I trust that the algae with be the one to consume the excess nutrients, while maintaining a balance? Then skim as needed?
Im not sure of what you all have going on in your tank. I had to turn off my skimmer and remove most of my algae from my sump to keep my Nits up. I had got to the point I was dosing nitrate. Coral's were just sucking it all up :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be nice to know what else is in your tank. It's also completely possible that its fish and other conditions that are causing a lack of algae. It would be difficult to answer this without knowing what your parameters are. Snails don't just eat algae - they eat fish food, etc - and the fish will eat algae. Until you're having a problem with dying snails - I would keep doing what you're doing.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be nice to know what else is in your tank. It's also completely possible that its fish and other conditions that are causing a lack of algae. It would be difficult to answer this without knowing what your parameters are. Snails don't just eat algae - they eat fish food, etc - and the fish will eat algae. Until you're having a problem with dying snails - I would keep doing what you're doing.
i couldnt help myself

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure of what you all have going on in your tank. I had to turn off my skimmer and remove most of my algae from my sump to keep my Nits up. I had got to the point I was dosing nitrate. Coral's were just sucking it all up :)
I just have 2 mushroom abundant rocks, some torches, softies and about 10 sps frags.. no colonies

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I know the snails eat more than just algae. They scour everything but the sand, presumably not much food falls on the rock, at least not that the hermits or tang don’t heist. Goby polices the bottom. No death, just proactive thought, shooting for visible food to tackle for them I guess

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re so funny… thank you for your admirable, intelligent and respectable contribution..
You are most welcome buddy.

In all honesty my tank also has the same issues. I dose calcium nitrate and trisodium phosphate daily. I am more than happy to share the calculations with you and where i source the labgrade chemicals.

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are most welcome buddy.

In all honesty my tank also has the same issues. I dose calcium nitrate and trisodium phosphate daily. I am more than happy to share the calculations with you and where i source the labgrade chemicals.
All in good fun. I’m open to info, but not sure if I can implement/dive into the reef chemistry rocket science rabbit hole to resolve it. I’m an aspiring intermediate level. I’m just going to do more plug and play with feeding and watch phosphates. I may just not have enough nutrients. After adding the tang, I noticed what looked like a baby mini cycle, but it’s erradicated. I guess bacteria getting used to the new bioload. I’ll keep researching.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All in good fun. I’m open to info, but not sure if I can implement/dive into the reef chemistry rocket science rabbit hole to resolve it. I’m an aspiring intermediate level. I’m just going to do more plug and play with feeding and watch phosphates. I may just not have enough nutrients. After adding the tang, I noticed what looked like a baby mini cycle, but it’s erradicated. I guess bacteria getting used to the new bioload. I’ll keep researching.
The chemicals add nitrate and phosphate. just like the brightwell products that add those very nutrients.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 81.0%
  • Other.

Back