Ways to tell if a picture is photoshopped?

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wondering if there are any ways to tell if a picture has been photoshopped. Are there things to look for in the picture?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What actually do you mean?

Using photoshop is an accepted practice by most all photographers who shoot professionally.

NautilusQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely the kind of altering the true coloration of pictured coral, thereby making more vivid color than usual by photoshop techniques.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if there is a way to tell if the colors of a coral are enhanced in a picture. I agree that most pro photographers use photoshop to make a picture look better but I would like to be able to tell (if possible) if a photo of a coral has been altered.

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what browser you use but you can get a plug in for firefox called EXIF viewer,if you right click on a photo most of the time it will tell you what kind of camera was used as well as what setting were used,it's a big help if you're trying to mimic someone else with your camera...here's the link to the firefox plug in https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/exif-viewer/ if you don't use firefox,I'd bet there's plug ins for different browsers just google EXIF viewer

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always look at the edges of items in the pics usually you can see a glow of blue,red, or yellow when a pic has been overexposed
coral pics usually show the bright blue saturation mostly because of the actinic lighting used over our tanks being highlighted

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a photo has been Photoshopped, well, you'll not be able to tell. A lot of photographers, including myself, shoot everything in RAW format. RAW photos require post processing, before they can be viewed, online, so the use of Photoshop is fairly normal. Also, a lot of cameras are unable to handle the blue lighting, of our reef aquariums, especially with LEDs. Photoshop is commonly used to white balance, to bring about a more accurate color.

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I see a coral that I think the colors are too good to be true I look to see if there is any coralline algae in the pic if it is colored too much then usually that frag is also sometimes on a blue coral the eggcrate will be intensly blue or if the frag is pink the eggcrate will be pink maybe it's special lighting or just altered to make the frag look bluer pinker etc. either way it won't look like that in my tank if it looks too good to be true check out others pics of that kind of frag & s tee what colors theirs have

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use photoshop. usually to sharpen up the picture and darken it a little (14K halides wash out some things sometimes) . if i think colors are very very dull and not what i see with my own eye i will adjust until it looks like what i see with my own eyes. i never shoot led anymore since i can never get it to look like what i see in the tank. (could never get the white balance correct)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%

Back