OP
pandry15

pandry15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C'mon Waterbox, let's get this tank delivered already!

IMG_0007.GIF

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
pandry15

pandry15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand built

Took about 90 minutes - I built it fairly slowly checking each step twice. I do not like the idea of building something and half way through you say "oh crap" and you take it apart and start over...

Instructions were fairly easy to follow, but... if one has not done many types of these builds before I can see where they could be a bit confusing. One of the diagrams showed 3 connectors on each side of a panel when in fact there were just two. That alone can cause many to stop - if you're a beginner to these types of builds buy a mechanically inclined friend a beer and do it together.

One panel was not labeled, but since it was just one it was easy to figure out which one, one panel was labeled incorrectly. On one of the side panels the inserts for the leveling feet were missing (3) - saw in the hardware kit there were 2 extras, again if you're not familiar with these type of builds it could be intimidating, since there were 3 that were missing with the 2 in the hardware kit I was missing one. I figured a way to get the last leveling foot in with the missing insert but I shouldn't be expected to do that.

Overall the build went well and I am pleased with the product - I just think WaterBox should make sure the cabinets are packaged better (without the above issues)

My son will be coming over later and we'll put the tank on the stand and do the plumbing - tomorrow it'll be sand, scape and water... today's build was fun and it's nice to finally have this thing in my home!

1618009047219.png
1618008911872.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
pandry15

pandry15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and we have water!

trying to get the sump/tank levels set....

Waterline is a little over an inch from the rim - draining into the sump a bit over 1/3 up on the Weir. Does that level sound right?

Fist time with a tank with a sump. Here are my current levels, I think these look good, any input from a sump vet would be appreciated!

Water cascading nicely into the socks:
1618094668059.png

Level in Skimmer chamber is about 8.5" from the bottom - I believe that's about the level reccomnded for my skimmer..

1618094782253.png

Pump chamber: Level is a bit under 3" over the inlet for the pump - this is the level I'm not too sure about...

1618094942078.png

I'll post tank pics next...

OP
OP
pandry15

pandry15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got micro-bubbles in the display. Skimmer is not on - waiting until I get livestock in the tank before I get it running. I've read many possible reasons for the bubbles - a couple said that it's because it's a new setup and they'll go away. I've been running the pump since Saturday, any idea how long before the bubbles dissipate if this is indeed a "new tank syndrome" issue?

OP
OP
pandry15

pandry15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro-bubbles pretty much cleared. Tank is looking good - all the parameters tested perfectly after day 10 and have been steady for almost a week. Cycling the rock for 2.5 months before the tank arrived definitely helped. Still letting the skimmer break in and playing with the water level - I have it on some egg-crate raising it 1.5 inches. Will keep it there a couple of weeks and see if that works.

OP
OP
pandry15

pandry15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's what it looks like under the hood right now. Skimmer seems to be dialed in after about 2+ weeks running. I have it sitting on about 1.25-1.5" of egg-crate. Got the controllers organized - still need to tie up some of the cords. I'll be adding a BRS media reactor to run carbon. Clowns are doing great - will be transferring my Yellow Tang this weekend.

1619795399075.jpeg

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's what it looks like under the hood right now. Skimmer seems to be dialed in after about 2+ weeks running. I have it sitting on about 1.25-1.5" of egg-crate. Got the controllers organized - still need to tie up some of the cords. I'll be adding a BRS media reactor to run carbon. Clowns are doing great - will be transferring my Yellow Tang this weekend.

1619795399075.jpeg
Tank looks amazing! I'm waiting on the same one to arrive for myself. Are you just running the filter socks and a skimmer for filtration?
and we're up and running....

1618163535546.png
Tank looks fantastic. I'm so excited for mine to arrive. I'm thinking I'll get a 50 gallon Brute to start cycling some reefsaver dry rock (and then use for mixing saltwater). How do you go about water changes? I'm contemplating if I'll mix 10G of saltwater each week for 10% changes or do 50g at a time and keep it on standby for the month? Would love to hear your thoughts on that type of maintenance (i'm a beginner just getting into the hobby). I appreciate any pointers you can throw my way. Thanks!

OP
OP
pandry15

pandry15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks amazing! I'm waiting on the same one to arrive for myself. Are you just running the filter socks and a skimmer for filtration?

Tank looks fantastic. I'm so excited for mine to arrive. I'm thinking I'll get a 50 gallon Brute to start cycling some reefsaver dry rock (and then use for mixing saltwater). How do you go about water changes? I'm contemplating if I'll mix 10G of saltwater each week for 10% changes or do 50g at a time and keep it on standby for the month? Would love to hear your thoughts on that type of maintenance (i'm a beginner just getting into the hobby). I appreciate any pointers you can throw my way. Thanks!
Thank you! I'm running the filter socks and skimmer and I also added a reactor to run carbon. Right now my bio-load is low so for water changes I'm doing 10 gallons a week. I think it is always smart to have pre-mixed water on standby. I'll update with new pictures in the next few days.

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I'm running the filter socks and skimmer and I also added a reactor to run carbon. Right now my bio-load is low so for water changes I'm doing 10 gallons a week. I think it is always smart to have pre-mixed water on standby. I'll update with new pictures in the next few days.
Thanks I appreciate that. I’m trying to plan how I’ll coordinate my water changes. I just picked up an 11 gallon trash can for the 10% changes each week. Would love to see pics to help with my own set up!

DocPalmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any plans to do a refugeum? I stumbled across the concept last week and absolutely love the idea.

KingChodo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearview lid arrived yesterday! I love this thing, looks better than my DIY egg crate!

1627077405888.jpeg

1627077440688.jpeg
Tank looks great! I just got my waterbox 110.4 a couple of weeks ago and can't wait to get it all set up. One question, where did you get the clearview lid? That looks awesome.

Back