OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi WD,
Love the tank, the exact look I'm trying to go for!
I also have a biocube 29(oceanic) and was thinking about doing the rimless mod. I was just wondering about the structural strength after cutting the rim off. Have you had any issues with it? Any advice on doing it?

I have done it to two tanks that I have both had for over a year and never had any issues, here is a post I made awhile back on reddit on how I did it.

Here's a post from awhile back about it: I just went rimless on my 29 biocube, here's a list of things you'll need and how I did it.
-sharp box cutter
-loose razor blades
-high test fishing line
-some good gloves
-a mini hack saw

First thing you do is take the hack saw and make a vertical cut where the rim meets the back filtration area. Go slow as you cut, you'll know when you broke through the rim as it will kinda 'pop' through. Do this on both sides of the tank and then once in the front center of the tank. Next get your box cutter and run the blade under the rim on the outside of the tank, there's no such thing as overdoing this part as it will make the next step easier. After you feel you've cut enough of the Silicone holding the rim down, get your fishing line and cut a decent bit. Take the line and wrap it around your fingers (don't forget the gloves for this part or you will slice your fingers wide open.) hold it like you were going to floss your teeth.

Now wedge the fishing line in between the cut you made with the hacksaw and get it up under the rim. Now pulling back slightly on it pull the line back and forward, it will take a bit of work but eventually it will cut all the silicone and that section of the rim will pop right off! Repeat this for both sections. All that's left is scraping the leftover silicone off, grab a chair and go to town! Trust me when I say I wish I had done it sooner, it looks absolutely amazing. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some fragging, thought I would share.

Jawbreakers:
MbRUlfA.jpg

Ut7rKjm.jpg

Darth maul
54kfV09.jpg

vamps
OUvoUPi.jpg

candy apple reds
uctAHUu.jpg

Some colonies that all started from single polyps:
58VfHng.jpg

fOV4MnR.jpg

BrP4Gtv.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job!

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 29 16.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 71 41.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 37 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.8%
Back