We as reefers are not the only ones with Cyano issues

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As we know, one of the nuisance algae's we encounter is CyanoBacteria. Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skim mate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development.

So, are we the only ones that endure this?
According to the article below : Credit- CDC

CDC warns toxic algae is making people and animals sick
According to the CDC, harmful algal blooms (HABs) that result from the rapid growth of algae or cyanobacteria (also referred to as blue-green algae) in natural waterbodies can harm people, animals, or the environment. HAB events of public health concern are primarily caused by microalgae (e.g., diatoms and dinoflagellates), cyanobacteria, and the toxins they can produce. HAB events, which can be intensified by factors such as nutrient pollution and warmer water temperature, can have public health, environmental, and economic impacts.
During 2021, the CDC reports that 368 HAB events were reported by 16 state jurisdictions: Arizona, California, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. These HAB events resulted in 117 human cases of illness and at least 2,715 animal cases of illness. Twenty-one groups of animals were reported, ranging in size from 2-2,000 individuals.
Reported HAB events occurred predominantly in summer months, peaking in August (92; 25%) and were most often classified as confirmed (311; 85%). Human cases of illness occurred primarily in June (38; 33%). Animal cases of illness occurred primarily in August (2,328; 86%). Case classification differed between human and animal cases of illness; the majority (104; 89%) of human cases of illness were classified as probable and 2,018 (74%) animal illnesses as confirmed.
Sixteen states voluntarily reported 368 harmful algal blooms (HABs) that resulted in a total of 117 human illnesses and at least 2,715 animal illnesses.
HAB events predominantly occurred in summer months, peaking in August (92; 25%), and most (90%) of the 368 HAB events occurred in freshwater bodies such as lakes and reservoirs.
Human illnesses occurred primarily in June (38; 33%), and the most commonly reported signs and symptoms were gastrointestinal, generalized (e.g., headache, fever), and dermatologic.
Animal illnesses occurred primarily in August (2,328; 86%) and mostly involved wildlife, including a mortality event that killed at least 2,000 bats.
The most commonly reported signs in animals were genitourinary (e.g., dark urine) in wildlife, followed by gastrointestinal (e.g., vomiting) and generalized (e.g., lethargy) in domestic pets.
Most HAB events were classified as confirmed (85%), human illnesses as probable (89%), and animal illnesses as confirmed (74%).
HABs are a One Health issue--they affect the health of people, animals, and our shared environment. One Health is a collaborative and multisectoral approach that involves engagement across disciplines including public health, animal health, and environmental health. Using a One Health approach, CDC collects data about HAB events and associated human or animal illnesses through the One Health Harmful Algal Bloom System (OHHABS) to inform public health prevention efforts.
In OHHABS, the term HAB event means either identification of a bloom or the detection of HAB toxins in water or food without a visual bloom. Human illnesses are reported individually. Animal illnesses are reported as single cases of illness or in groups, such as flocks of birds or schools of fish. The reporting system can link HAB event data with human or animal illness data. OHHABS uses standard definitions to classify HAB events as suspected or confirmed and human or animal illness as suspected, probable, or confirmed.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how many of our tank cyano outbreaks are from the outside air, and not due to tank conditions? If this is possible. I notice cyano outbreaks in some of my tanks almost seasonally. I do live across the street from a great lake also, but it is freshwater.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I wonder how many of our tank cyano outbreaks are from the outside air, and not due to tank conditions? If this is possible. I notice cyano outbreaks in some of my tanks almost seasonally. I do live across the street from a great lake also, but it is freshwater.
That was exactly my curiosity. Are we blaming ourselves when environmental factors may be playing a role?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back