We need to stop suggesting minimum gallon size for fish

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been something I have been thinking about recently. I think we need to stop going off whether or not we can get a fish based off the minimum gallon size in the fish description. This can be misleading because tanks are all shaped differently. Some are longer, skinnier, taller, shorter, and everything in between. Most fish can’t be classified by a gallon amount. My proposal to this is that we classify a fish on whether or not it would work by the way it swims. For example, Midas Blennies. Midas blennies are listed as a fish that would work in 30 gallons or more. I find that if you have a 30 gallon tank with a lot of swimming space like a rectangular tank or a shallow tank, this fish would do fine. But if you’re like me, and you have a 32 gallon Biocube (somewhere around 18”x20”x21”) with a Midas Blenny, it’s not going to work. I’m having this issue (will be more of one in the future) and why I’m thinking about it. Similarly, some fish like tangs who swim a lot could go in a 50 gallon shallow or long tank as if it provides the needs of swimming space. Tang police don’t shoot me. I’m sure everyone has thought of this too at one point or another. Tell me what you think. Do you agree or disagree? While we don’t have much control over it, this drives me crazy.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been something I have been thinking about recently. I think we need to stop going off whether or not we can get a fish based off the minimum gallon size in the fish description. This can be misleading because tanks are all shaped differently. Some are longer, skinnier, taller, shorter, and everything in between. Most fish can’t be classified by a gallon amount. My proposal to this is that we classify a fish on whether or not it would work by the way it swims. For example, Midas Blennies. Midas blennies are listed as a fish that would work in 30 gallons or more. I find that if you have a 30 gallon tank with a lot of swimming space like a rectangular tank or a shallow tank, this fish would do fine. But if you’re like me, and you have a 32 gallon Biocube (somewhere around 18”x20”x21”) with a Midas Blenny, it’s not going to work. I’m having this issue (will be more of one in the future) and why I’m thinking about it. Similarly, some fish like tangs who swim a lot could go in a 50 gallon shallow or long tank as if it provides the needs of swimming space. Tang police don’t shoot me. I’m sure everyone has thought of this too at one point or another. Tell me what you think. Do you agree or disagree? While we don’t have much control over it, this drives me crazy.

This is a favorite topic of mine. I've worked on it ever since I discovered the old " X inches of fish per gallon" doesn't work, The example is: you can put 10 - 1" neon tetras in a ten gallon tank, but you can't put one 10" oscar in the same tank...despite the inches of fish both being 10.

The other issue is exactly what you described - it isn't tank size, but swimming room that is important for the fish.

Here is a re-write of an article of mine that I posted earlier in the year:

Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a favorite topic of mine. I've worked on it ever since I discovered the old " X inches of fish per gallon" doesn't work, The example is: you can put 10 - 1" neon tetras in a ten gallon tank, but you can't put one 10" oscar in the same tank...despite the inches of fish both being 10.

The other issue is exactly what you described - it is tank size, but swimming room that is important for the fish.

Here is a re-write of an article of mine that I posted earlier in the year:

Jay
I’m glad I read that. I feel like it hasn’t been addressed enough and I’m glad others notice it too. I’m sure as this hobby progresses that this classification will probably be eliminated/modified like everything else that has changed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back