We three clowns: Have you had any success keeping more than a pair of clownfish in the same tank?

Have you had any success keeping more than a pair of clownfish in the same tank?

• Yes, I currently have three or more clownfish in my tank.

Votes: 78 23.3%
  • Yes, I have successfully kept three or more clownfish in my tank in the past.

Votes: 23 6.9%
  • I have kept three or more clownfish in my tank with mixed success.

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • I have kept three or more clownfish in my tank with limited success.

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • No, I have not kept more than two clownfish in my tank.

Votes: 149 44.5%
  • JUST SAY NO to more than two clownfish!!!

Votes: 46 13.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 4.5%

• Total voters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have 9 and started with 14 ( 4 were breeding pairs)

dropF.jpg
dropG.jpg

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a black and white female ocellaris paired with an orange male ocellaris and a gold stripe female maroon paired with a gold stripe lighting male maroon.

I thought I got all 4 in the pic, but no dice.
The female ocellaris is in the bottom left of the pic in their Mag.
The maroons can be seen in the BTA colony just above the copperband in the pic. The female on the left, being much darker and much larger. The male is just starting to get gold in the lightning band. The female is about the length of the butterfly, but with much more girth!!!

clowns.jpg

I quickly thew this pic into photoshop to get rid of some of the extra blues.

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dropF.jpg
dropG.jpg
What size tank and decor? My tank wasn't ready for nems and after I put 14 rbtas in my aggression stopped but could be because they thinned the herd to 6 already

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What size tank and decor? My tank wasn't ready for nems and after I put 14 rbtas in my aggression stopped but could be because they thinned the herd to 6 already
This was a 70g drop off tank

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha idk if my 2x2 foot print helps either

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dropF.jpg
dropG.jpg
similar to my 210 gallon reef...started with 13 and now at 9. Bullet hole, Wyoming white pair, misbar, mocha, and more...they were all added to tank at same time, which is likely why the remaining ones are still together and get along pretty well....

Rivus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the top pair for going on 7 years in a 45G RedSea. They're peaceful enough but the only time they're seen is feeding time, otherwise they hole up in their rock hole. I'm considering getting up to 3 small ones, creating either a harem or another pair. It would be nice to be able to see your fish. On the other hand everyone is happy in the tank, even if not seen. Other inhabitants are a goby/pistol shrimp pair, royal gamma, and 2 sapphire damsels.
In my other 25G (lower pic) the clown pair are always front and center or lounging in one of their nems.
anemones5.jpg
anemones7.jpg

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a pair but the male died suddenly after about a year. I ordered another but the seller sent me two. Now with three clownfish I looked to see what the experience was with others, the prevailing info was that it could work but most likely wouldn't. The surviving female was a biter, at least she would bite me. She jumped out of the tank to bite me!

With little choice I put them in the tank with the biter. There was a little problem at first, but they largely stayed on opposite sides of the tank. Over time they started hanging out together. They shared the same alvepora that they hosted in and just got along. I never saw any aggression between them after the first few days, and I have no other aggressive fish in the tank.

They lived that way for over a year and I thought it was really cool that I had this compatible trio. Then one day I looked in there and the biter female was half eaten. The remaining two seem to be living happily ever after. So long biter, no sadness on my part.

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a harem 125 gallon with 22 clownfish that have been going strong for almost 2 years now. The tank has multiple bubble tips that have split to give them even more homes and it is a softie tank. They host in many of the soft corals, even the Xenia on the back wall. I could watch them all day

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 30

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others echoed here it comes down to the size of the tank and they generally do better when introduced at the same time before territory was established. I had 3 for awhile before a 180g tank upgrade all living peacefully. After the upgrade, I added 3 more. The interesting part is the original 3 settled on one side of the tank and the new trio formed a bond on the opposite side of the tank. When they were introduced there was some bullying which likely forced the new trio to form their own "gang" for protection. Now adays they often meet in the middle for some light extracurricular activities and dialog then revert back to their territory's. I joke this is a West-side vs East-side old-school hiphop situation for those that understand that history. lol.

bureau13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked "Other" because there wasn't a choice for "I tried 3 and it failed miserably, but I'm not saying it can't be done because clearly the clownfish harem thing can work." I had a pair of gold-striped maroons in a RBTA in a previous incarnation of my tank. Way over on the other side I had a carpet anemone that an angelfish was picking at, so I thought I'd be clever and put a clownfish in that liked those anemones to run the angelfish off. It took a couple days for the maroons to become enraged and I ended up losing both the mail maroon and the new fish because he chased him (literally) out of the tank and sailed out right along with him. Ugh. Not doing that again, and I should have known better. Especially with freakin' maroons...

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I now have 5 Ocellaris clowns in my tank. They all get along great.
I had 7 for a few years, but one died of ich and one I think it was old (I was his third owner).

Alex.qld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept a couple of ocellaris and a couple of orange skunk in the same tank forever, initially in 250l now upgraded to 1000 l - each couple is set in a diff corner with its own anemone for the skunk and goni garden for the oci - they both regularly lay eggs

Rivus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on keeping multiple clowns in my 45. I experimented with adding 3 juveniles to the tank that had a pair of 7 y/o Mocha clowns. The Mocha pair were content to stay in their cave never venturing out until feeding time. Once the young ones were introduced all 5 were peacefully front and center most of the time. Recently two of young ones have become a pair and the odd one out was being picked on. It earned a trip back to the LFS. Now both pairs appear happy with the new pair nestling in the anemones. The old pair still like their cave but are a lot more visible. So I'll call the experiment a success, until it's not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back