We three clowns: Have you had any success keeping more than a pair of clownfish in the same tank?

Have you had any success keeping more than a pair of clownfish in the same tank?

• Yes, I currently have three or more clownfish in my tank.

Votes: 78 23.3%
  • Yes, I have successfully kept three or more clownfish in my tank in the past.

Votes: 23 6.9%
  • I have kept three or more clownfish in my tank with mixed success.

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • I have kept three or more clownfish in my tank with limited success.

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • No, I have not kept more than two clownfish in my tank.

Votes: 149 44.5%
  • JUST SAY NO to more than two clownfish!!!

Votes: 46 13.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 4.5%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We three clowns: Have you had any success keeping more than a pair of clownfish in the same tank?

Conventional wisdom says that the limit on clowns is two for each tank unless they are adolescents, or it is a harem tank. We are told that even the clowns in harem tanks appear to pair off and create issues given enough time. It seems that some clownfish are so aggressive that they should be limited to one per tank! Dominance and aggression are wired into clownfish, and it is part of their design which is connected to their development. Some rules have exceptions that can be broken with care, other rules have exceptions that are worth the risk to break, and other rules shouldn’t be tested. Have you had any success keeping more than a pair of clowns in the same tank? Please share your experience, recommendations, and tips in the related discussion thread!

PeaceRiver_Clownfish.jpeg

Photo by @Peace River at Darrell’s Aquarium in Lakeland, Florida

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! We're planning on a clown harem and will order fish within the next few weeks from the breeder.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some years ago I had a 90 gallon with a mated pair of tomato clowns. Ato, the female was a mean little creature as she would bite me whenever I worked in the tank and also was quite bossy with Tommy her mate. They spawned twice a month for years and years. I decided to attempt to raise baby clowns and actually succeeded in raising 7. I gave all away except 1 that I called Baby. I did not want to keep Baby in a separate tank so moved him to the 90 with his parents. Ato's maternal instincts were sorely lacking and she was brutal to poor Baby at first. Finally Baby decided to hang out in a sinularia as a substitute nem and they lived happily together for more years until caregiver duties became a necessity for me and I sold the tank and rehomed my fish. That is why I voted that I had limited success.

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a pair to an already established pair in our 125. No issues whatsoever surprisingly. Our established pair we had in the 125 already are lazy and don't seem to care about the new additions.

The pair from our 20g seem to have divorced already lol

Arcticwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have successfully kept these 3 together for many many years now. But I suspect my success is only due to the fact that when I acquired the tank they were in, it was a harem of 12 clowns. 1 was so aggressive, she was being kept in a fish trap. I rehomed whomever I could catch and these were the 3 left. The bullet hole became the female and she gets feisty enough to beat up on smaller fish, but never bothers the little clown. They all 3 share a nem unless she is laying eggs, in which case she and the Darwin kick the little guy out for a few weeks. I also keep them well fed and housed in a tank with at least 65 gal. It has been around 10 years now Screenshot_20231211_123653_Gallery.jpg

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are three percula clowns in a 175 gallon school reef in my classroom. They were tiny when another Marine Science teacher put them in there. They never fought but what has happened is the two larger clowns of paired off and the little guy has been banished. I feel bad for him. He seems like a little brother who gets chased away when the older brother has his girlfriend over.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 frostbite 2 black clownfish and one misbar all ocellaris. Had a large snowflake but it died about 6 months ago not really sure who the dominate female is now. One frost and one black are both getting bigger. Only the blacks seemed to be paired up.
Theres one BTA lots hammers tank is 330 gallon.

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 60 cube... started with 14 and im down to 6 so I don't know about success

Swfiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock On Wood Fingers Crossed GIF by giphystudios2021

Ive been lucky I guess. Never had mean Ocell but have seen tomatoes that were just pure evil.
My big female would bite the s*%# out of you the second you would reach into the tank and when they get over 2.5” they actually can bite pretty good

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big female would bite the s*%# out of you the second you would reach into the tank and when they get over 2.5” they actually can bite pretty good
10 years ago I had some maroons that were about 6 inches and they were mean.
My big snowflake about 4 inches that died here 6 months ago was the least aggressive of all the clowns. Never chased anything or your hand. Again I have good sized tank so im sure that has something to do with it. If I get in there and start really moving things its normally my little damsels humbugs that start attacking me. Also my yellow tails will nip at my hands. That mean little tomato I mentioned was smart it would bite between fingers at the webbing lol
I think its just luck of the draw, I had a 8 inch emperor angel in my tank that never touched any sps softies or lps.

Swfiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 years ago I had some maroons that were about 6 inches and they were mean.
My big snowflake about 4 inches that died here 6 months ago was the least aggressive of all the clowns. Never chased anything or your hand. Again I have good sized tank so im sure that has something to do with it. If I get in there and start really moving things its normally my little damsels humbugs that start attacking me. Also my yellow tails will nip at my hands. That mean little tomato I mentioned was smart it would bite between fingers at the webbing lol
Ya my bullethole snowflakes were the mean ones they would bite between the fingers but the female was the first one to attack the male followed her lead

This is in a 120 and then in my 300

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have enough experience since my tank is brand new and only has 2 clowns in it. I haven't fully stocked my 33 gallon tank and want a few other fish in it. I don't have a lid yet and I plan on making one myself.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back