Weekly 50% WC

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running a bio cube 32 as a holding tank while my 125 is cycling, etc. I do a water change every Sunday. After rock and such I imagine that is somewhere between 20-25 gallons of water in the system. I currently do 5 gallons of fresh saltwater, what’s everyone’s opinion of doing 10 gallons. Probably around 40-50% each week.

OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want to change from what you are currently doing ?
Just trying to ensure good water quality. There is approximately 35 frags in holding in the tank plus a couple of fish from my old tank. It was setup about a month from breaking down a 90 gallon reef pending the 125 setup. I figure it is just as easy to change 10 gallons as it is for 5 so why not.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost and time. If you have both, and the parameters match I guess you could. Supposed you may run the risk of removing too much of the nutrients.

Unrealreality

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share a photo out of curiosity ?
I have a comparable size tank. I do 5 gallons every 2 weeks. But having said that I do not have demanding SPS. Do you dose ? In my case I do water change to replenish trace elements, the major elements are dosed /KH,CA, MG

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say 50% is fine, but as mentioned above, unless you are having issues keeping parameters in check then to me it would just be a waste of money.

OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a comparable size tank. I do 5 gallons every 2 weeks. But having said that I do not have demanding SPS. Do you dose ? In my case I do water change to replenish trace elements, the major elements are dosed /KH,CA, MG

Attachments

• 2E0BDB1D-F6DA-44FE-8FB1-97FEEBB1EDD1.jpeg
    2E0BDB1D-F6DA-44FE-8FB1-97FEEBB1EDD1.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say 50% is fine, but as mentioned above, unless you are having issues keeping parameters in check then to me it would just be a waste of money.
This is only a temporary holding tank while setting up a much larger system. It will only be running for many another month. I produce my own rodi and buy salt in bulk so cost is minimal

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you're on top of matching salinity, alk and temp and either feeding or maintaining nutrients you're probably okay. Any nutrients you have, you'll be cutting in 1/2 every time which to me is a swing but may not matter depending on what coral you are keeping.

OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t dose in this system. Feed corals with reef snow and feed fish as normal. Dosing as such will resume in the new system as required

Unrealreality

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have results from testing your tank water ? I agree with Smite and Uzi about the nutrients. I would rather keep up with what you are currently doing and make tests more often Po4,No3,Kh,Ca,Mg and make sure these are stable.
I drip the water into my tank during the water change. I do that because the params don't perfectly match between new sw and tank water. That way the change is gradual.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back