Weekly and monthly maintenance

lolaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g with 2 clowns all my
Perimeters are good been testing every week tank is about 8 weeks old but everything was taken from a 20 gallon established tanks and upgraded to this 75g what should I be dosing each week I have all the Fluval marine supplments or should I use something else like all for reef ? I have only used stability thanks

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perimeters are good been testing every week tank is about 8 weeks old but everything was taken from a 20 gallon established tanks and upgraded to this 75g what should I be dosing each week I have all the Fluval marine supplments or should I use something else like all for reef ? I have only used stability thanks
If this is a fish only tank, I would do 25% water changes monthly (or less if weekly) and that’s it. If you are growing corals too, then it gets a bit more complicated.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank. Before you dose anything I suggest you start testing. Perhaps pick a time of day and do the same tests at the same time for a week or so. This will tell you your consumption rate and the values you'll need to dose to in order to replace what was used - alk, Nitrate and po4. I say skip magnesium and ph testing for a bit (next phase).

This is just I would do, since you asked. Good luck! :)

Edit : as mentioned, is this fish only? Then I wouldn't dose anything; only if there are corals

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

You shouldn’t need to dose anything. Eventually with corals you *may* need to start dosing alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, but even that isn’t mandatory if you’re doing enough water changes. That’s really the most important thing to do.

OP
OP
L

lolaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a fish only tank, I would do 25% water changes monthly (or less if weekly) and that’s it. If you are growing corals too, then it gets a bit more complicated.
I have bta and zoa’s

OP
OP
L

lolaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank. Before you dose anything I suggest you start testing. Perhaps pick a time of day and do the same tests at the same time for a week or so. This will tell you your consumption rate and the values you'll need to dose to in order to replace what was used - alk, Nitrate and po4. I say skip magnesium and ph testing for a bit (next phase).

This is just I would do, since you asked. Good luck! :)

Edit : as mentioned, is this fish only? Then I wouldn't dose anything; only if there are corals
I have bta and zoa I test weekly and everything seems on point and tank looks great

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bta and zoa I test weekly and everything seems on point and tank looks great
Nice. That's what the goal is at the end of the day.

If you wanted to dose (as your post suggests), you'll want to know daily amounts (to dose) so may just want to step up the testing from weekly to daily to get those values. Then you can ease up on testing...imo

OP
OP
L

lolaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. That's what the goal is at the end of the day.

If you wanted to dose (as your post suggests), you'll want to know daily amounts (to dose) so may just want to step up the testing from weekly to daily to get those values. Then you can ease up on testing...imo
I can’t test daily lol I wish but I just didnt know if my corals and fish needed anything Extra to help grow to to prevent crashes like what is your weekly maintenance do test and only add something if it’s off

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I know what you mean. I don't test often if I'm being honest but things I add to the tank are based on testing that I've done. Occasionally readjusting based on tests, etc. I wouldn't just throw 'extra' things in, but that's just me. Maybe there are other opinions out there

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't test often either. If you are dosing then it is better to test often since you want to know if your parameters are getting to where they want to be, but if your tank is doing fine then I wouldn't dose anything imo.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would challenge the idea about only dosing what you test for, and many reefers violate that suggestion daily (anyone using AFR and not testing trace elements, for example), but I certainly agree in this case there no reason to be dosing.

I'd get an alkalinity test kit as a starter. :)

OP
OP
L

lolaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would challenge the idea about only dosing what you test for, and many reefers violate that suggestion daily (anyone using AFR and not testing trace elements, for example), but I certainly agree in this case there no reason to be dosing.

I don’t have a good kit only the marine and reef api one but my KH was 9 yesterday

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is an interesting response. Trace elements are a good example. I suppose this is the 'reef chemistry' forum and not the beginners but sometimes that's the tone I pick up if I'm being honest and imo not for beginners (I've yet to test trace elements, not that I'm an example by any means). I hear what you're saying though

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting response. Trace elements are a good example. I suppose this is the 'reef chemistry' forum and not the beginners but sometimes that's the tone I pick up if I'm being honest and imo not for beginners (I've yet to test trace elements, not that I'm an example by any means). I hear what you're saying though

Not sure what to say. We discuss beginner questions endlessly in this forum, and because two people may disagree does not make it for advanced reefers only.

IMO, the don't add what you don't test for statement has clear limitations that really do not make it an optimal mantra whether you are a newbie or an advanced reefer.

That's the problem with a lot of oversimplified generalizations: they can lead one astray. IMO, it is far more useful and appropriate to drill down a bit to understand the scenario and give tailored advice.

OP
OP
L

lolaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what to say. We discuss beginner questions endlessly in this forum, and because two people may disagree does not make it for advanced reefers only.

IMO, the don't add what you don't test for statement has clear limitations that really do not make it an optimal mantra whether you are a newbie or an advanced reefer.

That's the problem with a lot of oversimplified generalizations: they can lead one astray. IMO, it is far more useful and appropriate to drill down a bit to understand the scenario and give tailored advice.
corals do they need extra supplements to help grow is kinda my question or does having a sable tank with healthy perimeters enough to grow a beautiful tank ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
corals do they need extra supplements to help grow is kinda my question or does having a sable tank with healthy perimeters enough to grow a beautiful tank ?

Corals need many things, but in a tank with fish and adequately alkalinity, there's nothing to worry about now until you have many corals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back