Weird apex AFS issue…

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Leaving on a business trip for a few days tomorrow and decided to get my AFS setup for the first time to feed while away. So I plug it in, add it to my dashboard, set the time and walk away. I come back the next morning (a few days ago) and everything connected to my Apex is off. Lights on my PM1 modules are flashing, no pumps running, MP40’s only running on battery backup. I panic as everything in fusion is showing as normal! I can still toggle things on and off but has zero effect on the apex. No warnings or alerts that it is all dead. So I think about what is the only change I have made recently? Plugged my AFS into one of the ports on the side of my nearest DOS. The second I pulled the cable from the DOS everything fired up immediately and back to normal. So my question is what on earth happened? Did I overload something? Are the aquabus ports on a DOS no use for this application? I read you could attach it to any spare port.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I of course have left it unplugged and broke out my Eheim feeder which has never let me down. These feeders are £135 here and to be honest I find the build quality pretty horrendous. Also the front face comes off and spills food everywhere if not very careful. Can’t say I’m impressed so far.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi all,

Leaving on a business trip for a few days tomorrow and decided to get my AFS setup for the first time to feed while away. So I plug it in, add it to my dashboard, set the time and walk away. I come back the next morning (a few days ago) and everything connected to my Apex is off. Lights on my PM1 modules are flashing, no pumps running, MP40’s only running on battery backup. I panic as everything in fusion is showing as normal! I can still toggle things on and off but has zero effect on the apex. No warnings or alerts that it is all dead. So I think about what is the only change I have made recently? Plugged my AFS into one of the ports on the side of my nearest DOS. The second I pulled the cable from the DOS everything fired up immediately and back to normal. So my question is what on earth happened? Did I overload something? Are the aquabus ports on a DOS no use for this application? I read you could attach it to any spare port.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I of course have left it unplugged and broke out my Eheim feeder which has never let me down. These feeders are £135 here and to be honest I find the build quality pretty horrendous. Also the front face comes off and spills food everywhere if not very careful. Can’t say I’m impressed so far.
@SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things I can think of is a defective AFS, or corrosion on the AquaBus port or cable. Inspect them carefully, and if possible, try connecting the AFS to a different AquaBus port and with a different known-good cable.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things I can think of is a defective AFS, or corrosion on the AquaBus port or cable. Inspect them carefully, and if possible, try connecting the AFS to a different AquaBus port and with a different known-good cable.
No rust on anything but of course could easily be a defective AFS but that would be impossible to know with my level of technical ability. I also don’t really want to replicate this issue unless sitting by the tank and unplugging the AFS before I leave.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back