Weird behaviour Hammer Coral

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Got a Hammer Coral acting weird since 2 weeks ago, started not extending as much on one of his sides.. the other parts are good , this one looks retracted like this.. what could this be? I have a Torch in the same system, doing great !

dKH: 11.5dKH
Ca: 450ppm
Mg: 1410ppm
NO3: 0.1ppm
PO4: 0.024ppm

Thanks!
IMG_6466.JPG

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope im wrong but it looks like the skin is already gone on the skeleton. The head could bail soon if it receds further.

Agreed nutrients are low but they are not 0 so thats good.

Have parameters swung recently?

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday it started peeling some of the skin off of that teeth area..

IMG_6473.JPG

I had an Alk swing like 12 days ago, where it dropped by around 1/1.5 dKH , that could possibly cause this issue.

All my Acroporas and Montiporas recovered fine, even got a Torch who literally didn't even bother with that.
Started Iodine dipping yesterday, as I currently got perfect and stable water params every since I had that Alk swing. Could this be some kind of bacteria? My torch shows no signs of any of this.

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about dosing nitrates? Some systems need it. I’ve recently started dosing phos and nitrate in my system and corals are looking much better.

Yes I already thought of this, I want to bring my nitrates to 2ppm since I keep high Alk. I've been starting to feed my fish twice a day, Pellets and Frozen Mysis to try bring the values up, still low but I probably need to wait more time :)

Thanks!

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my refugium is being very effective , so hard to raise the nitrates even to 1ppm.

Meanwhile, I dipped the coral 3 days in a row, waiting for the results now (Not looking worse) :)

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a issue with zero NO3 and PO4. I started dosing it using Loudwolf products and "the planted tank calculator" now it's right where I want it.

Back