Weird fungus or scales on clownfish gills and head

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does this look like on my clown? It looks like a fungus or gills flaking off on the gills especially, but also on the head.

It’s one of a few tanks I have, this tank has been set up and stable for a year, absolutely no new introductions of fish, live rock or coral in months.

IMG_9560.png IMG_9559.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does this look like on my clown? It looks like a fungus or gills flaking off on the gills especially, but also on the head.

It’s one of a few tanks I have, this tank has been set up and stable for a year, absolutely no new introductions of fish, live rock or coral in months.

IMG_9560.png IMG_9559.png

Those are most likely mucus plugs, a stress response. The best way I can describe it is the mucus comes out of the pores like a playdoh extruding toy.

So - the question is, what stressor caused this? Commonly, it is fighting with another clownfish. Sometimes, the stressor is marine ich, which causes white spots itself, so that can become confusing. I don't think that is the case here as the mucus seems confined to the white headband, and not on any fins like you would see with ich.

If the fish is showing no other symptoms, I would just watch it for now.

Jay

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are most likely mucus plugs, a stress response. The best way I can describe it is the mucus comes out of the pores like a playdoh extruding toy.

So - the question is, what stressor caused this? Commonly, it is fighting with another clownfish. Sometimes, the stressor is marine ich, which causes white spots itself, so that can become confusing. I don't think that is the case here as the mucus seems confined to the white headband, and not on any fins like you would see with ich.

If the fish is showing no other symptoms, I would just watch it for now.

Jay
Thanks a lot for the response as always jay!

She’s alone in the tank, has been for a year. Has been great for a while though. Can’t imagine what could be stressing her so much, but I will keep an eye on it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for the response as always jay!

She’s alone in the tank, has been for a year. Has been great for a while though. Can’t imagine what could be stressing her so much, but I will keep an eye on it.
If you start to see any other symptoms, let us know.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back