Weird hitchhiker/ pest found on one of my purple style colonies

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a little less than a quarter inch long. Majority of it flouresces bright green. Almost like a small piece of some sort of euphyllia. The "head" that does not fluoresce was attached to stylo. I thought it may be some sort of nudi but have no idea. There is only one i can see, you really cant miss it, super bright.
20190722_140231.jpeg
20190722_140203.jpeg

OP
OP
JPergamo

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for not responding earlier. It does not move. I just found another piece that looks the same floating around my detritus. Its gotta be a euphyllia spawn it's the only explanation

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch 'tentacle' for sure.

My hammer did the same 12 months ago. Kept twisting off tentacles till it ended up dying. Never did figure it out. Following along to see the outcome of this one.

Cameron A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be water parameters, too much or too little flow, change in tank temperatures, but ultimately stress is why it would do that. Have you had any recent alk or calc changes and or change of flow or temp in your tank? Is there a coral nearby that has a more aggresive sting that could have potentially touched it?

OP
OP
JPergamo

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be water parameters, too much or too little flow, change in tank temperatures, but ultimately stress is why it would do that. Have you had any recent alk or calc changes and or change of flow or temp in your tank? Is there a coral nearby that has a more aggresive sting that could have potentially touched it?
No to all of the above. I have 1 LPS in a 180 full of sps and that's the torch. Been down in the corner doing his thing alone for about a year and a half. I cleaned my gyres a week ago maybe there is some extra flow from that but nothing substantial and no changes otherwise. I also have every coral nipping fish that's out there like a filefish, flame angel, foxface... maybe one of them is the culprit? They never damage any acros.

Cameron A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is very possible that a fish just nipped a few off. If you do see them as you have seen they are still capable of stinging so try and remove them as soon as possible.

OP
OP
JPergamo

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is very possible that a fish just nipped a few off. If you do see them as you have seen they are still capable of stinging so try and remove them as soon as possible.
Yes I have been thanks for the info. In my years I've learned not doing anything when something like this happens is always better than freaking out and doing things so I'm just gonna let the tank rock. Nothing is suffering outside of this weird occurrence. Appreciate the input.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back