Weird invert? Maybe a Nudi?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aeiyr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Aeiyr

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 15, 2023
Messages
207
Reaction score
116
Location
Flushing, MI
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 5 gallon tank I use as a qt for inverts. It's permanent inhabitants are 4 blue legged hermits, 4 astrea snails, and one turbo snail. There was an emerald crab but havent seen him in about a month.

Anyways, twice now I've gotten a good look at this odd, translucent flatworm looking critter that I've never seen before. It's small, maybe an half a centimeter or just over in length. It appears to stay on the glass. And has what I must assume is a mouth that it's using to graze the glass. Any thoughts?

20240605_191029.jpg 20240605_191034.jpg 20240605_190954.jpg
 
We'd probably call that a ghost flatworm in the hobby - it's an Acoel flatworm, possibly an Amphiscolops species or relative. They're pretty neutral, but you probably don't want their numbers getting out of hand, so most people would recommend removal.
 
We'd probably call that a ghost flatworm in the hobby - it's an Acoel flatworm, possibly an Amphiscolops species or relative. They're pretty neutral, but you probably don't want their numbers getting out of hand, so most people would recommend removal.
Can it reproduce asexually? Or does it require a partner for reproduction? So far I have only seen the single one. I've been curious if my royal gramma would gobble it up if I dangled it the end of some tongs in my other tank.
 
If there's one, there are likely more...

Wrasse and springeri damsels are the only fish I know that eat them.
 
Can it reproduce asexually? Or does it require a partner for reproduction? So far I have only seen the single one. I've been curious if my royal gramma would gobble it up if I dangled it the end of some tongs in my other tank.
They likely can reproduce asexually, yes.
 
Hm, I may just gut clean the tank then if they become a problem. Only a couple snails and crabs so I could just inspect them for any riders and just reboot the tank if I really need to.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 26.0%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new