Weird marking on Naso Tang

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this tank in QT for going on 3 weeks. Eating normal, looking normal, swimming ok. QT is 20gal long, ammonia 0, Nitrate & Nitrite I don't test, PH 8.2, plenty of circulation. On Monday he had dark patch on body with a lone white dot. Tuesday it looks like, see picture, white still just that not raised. Anybody seen this B4?

20180213_194357_resized.jpg

20180213_194402_resized.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso tangs are often very visibly afflicted by nearly anything on the skin — the “eczema fish” of the tang world. Infections can present very similarly, and that’s what I am inclined to think based on observation.

They even blotch up and discolor solely from stress sometimes, although that doesn’t look like the case here.

I don’t think this is fingerprint disease, personally, I suspect it’s an insertion point of ich or velvet that has become infected.

Can you provide better photos of the afflicted area? Is there a reddish dot in the center?

If so, an acriflavine bath followed by 10-14 days of metroplex, kanaplex, and furan 2 will likely clear it up in the quarantine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr. Limpid

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is alone. No redness. The white spot for now is just white not raised or puff looking. not good at taking pictures, update pictures tonight.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I seeing a couple of white dots on the pectoral fin? And another on the nose?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While in the QT for 3 weeks, what treatments (freshwater dips, etc.) and meds has the Tang been given?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mr. Limpid Can you confirm if white dots are present on the fins, as indicated above. If so, can we get a closeup photo of it? What you are seeing (dark patch) might be a secondary bacterial infection to a parasite, such as ich or velvet.

OP
OP
Mr. Limpid

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to say he died last night. He was swimming fine and ate mysis shrimp and during the day he ate a quarter of a nori sheet (because that is all I gave him). Only spot was below dark ring and not raised just white spot. No other area had any spots. The dark ring got larger in diameter and was fading. The only thing I notices is that he had lost color in his tale. I am at a loss on this one. As for treatment I only observe in QT, I do not treat for anything on less I see something to treat. Any comments are welcome, because I always want to learn. Make me sick losing fish.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Beautiful fish. That's hard to take, been there. :(

I'd be guessing here, but based on what I could see and what Humblefish suggested sounds like your fish had a very nasty gram-negative bacterial infection resulting from probably velvet. There are currently some very dangerous strains of velvet going around that don't show the usual telltale signs.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gram negative bacterial infection is the most likely explanation: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bacterial-infections.191511/

These are often very difficult to treat, unless symptoms are noticed early and treatment begins immediately. Also, as mentioned above these infections are oftentimes secondary to a preexisting parasitic or worm infestation.

OP
OP
Mr. Limpid

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your responses. Hopefully the next one will fair better. I'm going to wait a month b4 introducing another fish into my QT, just because of cost.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back