Weird precipitate in Tropic Marin Trace-K

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now I have a weird precipitate in my bottle of Tropic Marin Trace-K. It appears to be a yellow-gold dusting at the bottom of my dosing container. It appears daily. When I swirl the container it mixes up and completely disappears.

I’m still dosing manually and have not noticed any negative effects on the tank.

I know Trace-K contains Barium, Boron, Chrome, Cobalt, Iron, Copper, Manganese, Nickel, Strontium, and Zinc. Will/could any of these drop out of solution?

I ordered two new bottles of A & K as I believe I’m seeing its benefits, but I am completely dissatisfied with the aesthetic quality of the product. (My other thread details the bacterial threads in Trace A that appear to be from the non-sterile production process.)

33A9FDD3-4475-43B8-86E9-CEB25F8D6579.jpeg 8EBD9461-F261-49E2-B1BF-9BDE822A85CA.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dilute it? I expect it is some ferric hydroxide/oxide. I'd just ignore it.

Dilution and mixing increases the chances of oxidizing trace elements (via O2) into forms not present in the original fluid. Best to avoid dilution and aeration, IMO.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dilute it? I expect it is some ferric hydroxide/oxide. I'd just ignore it.

Dilution and mixing increases the chances of oxidizing trace elements (via O2) into forms not present in the original fluid. Best to avoid dilution and aeration, IMO.

I have not diluted the liquid. However, I never hooked the container to my doser, so the lid has two open holes, one for the tubing and another to prevent a vacuum (I think). Someone told me I needed that second hole. I guess those holes would be the source of aeration.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not diluted the liquid. However, I never hooked the container to my doser, so the lid has two open holes, one for the tubing and another to prevent a vacuum (I think). Someone told me I needed that second hole. I guess those holes would be the source of aeration.

If that is undiluted, it is hardly any precipitate and I'd just ignore the precipitate. :)

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just confirming that I agree with @Randy Holmes-Farley on this. I wouldn't worry about this at all and believe it will not effect the use of the product at all.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Lou Ekus @Randy Holmes-Farley

Is there any issue with not dosing straight from the 1000ml bottle, meaning can I use the TM bottle to partially fill dosing containers? I assume the liquid is the same concentration throughout?

Geez, I hope my question makes sense.

Any clear water solution is uniform without mixing, if that is the question. Dissolved molecules and ions do nor separate or settle due to gravity.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back