Weird salt creep at the controller connector of Gyre 2K

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jeff, let me shoot an email to support!

Thank you! I remember this and I'm sure support reported it to the manufacturer, although I'm not sure what's happened since then. Keep us posted! I do know this is a pump issue and not controller-related. Not that that's of particular comfort, I suppose...

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralvue sent me a new motor and controller, it was very quick 2 day shipping. I replaced the motor and controller this morning. Will update in a few days to see if the problem is gone...

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralvue sent me a new motor and controller, it was very quick 2 day shipping. I replaced the motor and controller this morning. Will update in a few days to see if the problem is gone...

Thank you for following up! We'll chase down the manufacturer and get to the bottom of this. Hit me up if you bump into further issues: [email protected]. Happy Friday and have a great weekend!

ReeferHans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this issue ever resolved?
Yes, issue was resolved. Opened a ticked with CoralVue, they replaced the motor block and controller. I have not installed the replacement, but plan on doing so this weekend.

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update after 12 days. I unplugged the pump connection and happy to report that there is no longer salt creep. I'm looking to add another gyre to my tank... Hope the next one I buy doesn't have this problem.

OP
OP
J

jjstecchino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gyres did it again !!! These are the replaced motors from the original thread. In addition I added an extension cable to have a bigger drip loop.
As I am doing my January big cleanup, I took down the gyres for cleaning. As I disconnected the pump cable from the extension connector, I found the contacts corroded to the point of breaking inside the female connector.
Hey re is a picture:
IMG_4110.jpg

and here is the broken pin I was able to remove from the female plug on the extension cable:

IMG_4107.jpg

There was no salt creep outside. As previously the cables are not wet or moist on the outside and there is a generous drip loop.

I will try to contact support again.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Place electrical grease or even vaseline at connector to block any moisture in the future

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back