Weird SPS issues

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a update on what’s been going on. I followed the steps and started dosing nitrates using the stump remover method mentioned on this site(1.5 is current level). I for the life of me could not get nitrates up without it. I stopped using nopox carbon dosing for now. I also used phosphate RX to get my levels back on line, and followed up with water changes. My acros have begone to color up and have polyp extension but it seems that birdsnest coral is doomed as it is having more tissue lost. Hammer coral seems to be a little happier but still looks shriveled. When should I begin ramping the lights up again and how long should I take to do that?

Ramping up your lights should be done over the course of a week. Small adjustments at a time. Each day observe how the corals are doing.

Most corals, generally speaking, need only 150-250 par to be healthy.

Good to hear that they overall are doing better!

OP
OP
M

Mike646

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So now I am facing a new issue. Since I started dosing nitrates I am having a Cyano outbreak in my tank. What confuses me is the fact my tank has a large Refugium compartment full of Chaeto, my nitrates are 0 after 24 hours later of dosing( I am dosing about 2ppm worth each day), and phosphate is steady (.25). My rock no longer looks barren with coralline algae growing and now Cyano. I feel like I am fighting a losing battle, as soon as I solve one issue another even worse one takes over. Any advice you can give I really appreciate!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back