Weird Sump

  • Thread starter Thread starter rhyan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rhyan

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 10, 2015
Messages
88
Reaction score
17
Location
WA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I bought this tank used, this is also the first sump we've had. I have seen many pictures of sumps, but this one looks nothing like them. I understand that this is a custom built tank and sump, but it doesn't seem to do anything besides exchange water from the tank and the sump. It has a gravity fed intake and a pump at the back to put the water back up to the tank. There is an open area underneath the skimmer and pump which I am assuming is supposed to be some sort of refugium. It's got sand and a little cheetoh in there too. Is it just me, or is this sump really messed up? I think this sump needs more filtration. The guy I bought it from has had it for many years with no problems, so I don't know if it's really hurting anything. Should I modify this sump? What can I do to make it better?
Sorry I couldn't get better pictures, but my stand is too small to get a wide enough shot of the side. I hope these pics will do for now.
image.jpeg
 
It's prob an old wet dry trickle converted to a sump.that chamber where your skimmer sets used to have bio balls.at least thats what I see I could be wrong.
 
I agree it's probably an old wet dry. You could do some small modifications if you want. The first thing I would do would be to get a filter sock holder and have the water drain into the sock. This will give you some mechanical filtration.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new