OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure to do another ICP, large WC, or get a PAR meter......

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They effect them, mostly if the tube or feeder touches them.

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They effect them, mostly if the tube or feeder touches them.
That’s what I’m wondering, If chronic harassment by a verified can cause this. I may move the rock mine are on and try to rid it of all of them, see if it makes a difference...

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting development in all of this. Got a PAR meter to map my tank's PAR. Really been wanting to do this since I haven't seen much SPS growth. To my surprise the areas where the Zoas are struggling are only getting 70 PAR under whites and roughly 65 PAR under blues.

The zoas that are continuing to do well in the tank are receiving north of 90PAR.

Back when problems started on only zoas on the frag rack I had measured the par with and without diffusers. PAR in that location without the diffusers ~90PAR, and with diffusers was ~65 PAR.

With all that being said the slow SPS growth is due to receiving less than 150 PAR at the peak. I will need to make a big lighting adjustment from 45% intensity to 80%, which give me roughly 90-130 on the bottom to hitting 200+ on the top. This will have to be done over a long period of time....

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting development in all of this. Got a PAR meter to map my tank's PAR. Really been wanting to do this since I haven't seen much SPS growth. To my surprise the areas where the Zoas are struggling are only getting 70 PAR under whites and roughly 65 PAR under blues.

The zoas that are continuing to do well in the tank are receiving north of 90PAR.

Back when problems started on only zoas on the frag rack I had measured the par with and without diffusers. PAR in that location without the diffusers ~90PAR, and with diffusers was ~65 PAR.

With all that being said the slow SPS growth is due to receiving less than 150 PAR at the peak. I will need to make a big lighting adjustment from 45% intensity to 80%, which give me roughly 90-130 on the bottom to hitting 200+ on the top. This will have to be done over a long period of time....

Thanks for the update! This is great information. My Seneye Reef is supposed to come in the mail today, so I'm interested to see how my PAR measurements compare to yours. I suspect I may get similar results.

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update! This is great information. My Seneye Reef is supposed to come in the mail today, so I'm interested to see how my PAR measurements compare to yours. I suspect I may get similar results.
Keep in mind the differences in PAR meters I am using the Apogee with the 510 sensor from BRS.

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up and I definitely will! Although from a testing video BRS did, I believe the seneye got pretty similar results with its PAR measurements.

What was the result of the PAR?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the result of the PAR?

I haven't been able to get my seneye to connect to my computer. I've been trying to get an answer from seneye support but haven't gotten a response back. I've tried it on two different desktop computers using every single USB port available on each one and it just won't connect to the seneye software. It's pretty frustrating actually as right now I basically have a $200 paperweight.

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things still slowly getting a little worse. Strongly considering the chemiclean route. Can't see a reason not too, other than a nutty skimmer.

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I see some Vermatid Snails in your Purple Monsters and Scrambled Eggs colonies....they may be irritating them.
Any changes to your flow? The stalks appear to be a little long. I've increadsed my flow and the zoas are doing better and growing in more compact groupings.

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No big changes to flow. They do get some gently swaying. I get ride of the vermitid snails when they get close. Still seeing issues on zoas with higher light and no snails close.

Red Leader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose Chemiclean and be done with it. I had the same problem and my parameters were great as well. Dosed Chemiclean and the zoas went back to normal and have been normal since (about 2 months).

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose Chemiclean and be done with it. I had the same problem and my parameters were great as well. Dosed Chemiclean and the zoas went back to normal and have been normal since (about 2 months).

I did the standard chemiclean dose as directed last night. Will come back with pictures in a few days. All looks okay in the tank so far. Did notice some bubbly stringy type material coming off some zoas, may not be related.

Tonedeafviolinist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but my zoas have been doing the same thing and there is an aptaisia anemome growing in the middle of the colony. Is there a safe way to remove it?

20200526_120218.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
Back