View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from down under the Sea.

Name is Mike :

Reefs last run : 6
Largest: 800 gallon, then 600 and 400 with large 125 Sumps/ Refugium

I worked on these in DFW area having been in the DFWMAS, (Dallas fort worth marine aquarium society) group. I worked on Frag parties and traveled to Los Osos (CA) to Key West (FL) gathering Blue Legs, aggregate, and other supplies for the Club.

This is not my business but just a Hobby that got out of control back in the 90s and 2000 years.

Started Reefing back in 1982-1984 years, when I was following TEAL reef system and had set up Reefs when buying from local and Walt Smith Dealers. That was when Coral was inexpensive and Super items from FIGI and other places, By the way for those who do not know "Teal" , he was? or still is ( do not know if he passed on by now) the German guy that has spent Millions on growing Reef systems and helped bring it all in the Mainstream public as a hobby. He had a WebSite as well as a Magazine at 1 point. Many Decades ago so I have not followed up with him for decades, have just been way out of the Loop as it were.

Originally from Petaluma, CA , and went to TX for a while, also working on Showrooms service and building showrooms for Saltwater Paradise. Frag operations, Restaurants, and Homes. All that, is still not my business and what my 4 license is about, but none the less still all associated with too much degree. I am into the business of Design and Fabrication, also having run 3 companies over 40 years in 3 States, from East to West.

I started Reefing when it was nothing but a Gerbil and wheel keeping things going. Now the equipment and knowledge are Exceptional and enthusiasts are able to find true knowledge to keep it alive and thriving. The lighting alone was like growing Weed and my bills were $800 plus a month and I always hoped the Police would not raid the home, thinking it was a grow home. MH lamps were expensive to run, and with Chillers to cool it all down with 2,500 gallons was not cheap.

Well,,
Enough about me., LOL--------

I will be interested in reading about the goings-on here and ill sit back for a while and let you'll have at it as they say.
My current Reef is too simple to really mention for now and I'll ramp up on better equipment because now there are some great items out there and ill get to using them soon enough. LED alone is really cool and the Tech nowadays is exceptional!

PARS-----for now, LOL------
I'll run a Hex 50 tank and 50 in Refugium, Setting up the basics with Pods in backlit Refuge. Tanks is up and running for the last 6 months and just LPS and a half dozen fish, plus Cleaner shrimp/snails for now.

Best Regards to you all,
Mike /// - Reno , NV
Studio 1 Design

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Name is Mike :

I worked on these in DFW area having been in the DFWMAS, (Dallas fort worth marine aquarium society) group. I worked on Frag parties and traveled to Los Osos (CA) to Key West (FL) gathering Blue Legs, aggregate, and other supplies for the Club.

This is not my business but just a Hobby that got out of control back in the 90s and 2000 years.

Started Reefing back in 1982-1984 years, when I was following TEAL reef system and had set up Reefs when buying from local and Walt Smith Dealers. That was when Coral was inexpensive and Super items from FIGI and other places, By the way for those who do not know "Teal" , he was? or still is ( do not know if he passed on by now) the German guy that has spent Millions on growing Reef systems and helped bring it all in the Mainstream public as a hobby. He had a WebSite as well as a Magazine at 1 point. Many Decades ago so I have not followed up with him for decades, have just been way out of the Loop as it were.

Originally from Petaluma, CA , and went to TX for a while, also working on Showrooms service and building showrooms for Saltwater Paradise. Frag operations, Restaurants, and Homes. All that, is still not my business and what my 4 license is about, but none the less still all associated with too much degree. I am into the business of Design and Fabrication, also having run 3 companies over 40 years in 3 States, from East to West.

I started Reefing when it was nothing but a Gerbil and wheel keeping things going. Now the equipment and knowledge are Exceptional and enthusiasts are able to find true knowledge to keep it alive and thriving. The lighting alone was like growing Weed and my bills were $800 plus a month and I always hoped the Police would not raid the home, thinking it was a grow home. MH lamps were expensive to run, and with Chillers to cool it all down with 2,500 gallons was not cheap.

Well,,

I will be interested in reading about the goings-on here and ill sit back for a while and let you'll have at it as they say.
My current Reef is too simple to really mention for now and I'll ramp up on better equipment because now there are some great items out there and ill get to using them soon enough. LED alone is really cool and the Tech nowadays is exceptional!

I'll run a Hex 50 tank and 50 in Refugium, Setting up the basics with Pods in backlit Refuge. Tanks is up and running for the last 6 months and just LPS and a half dozen fish, plus Cleaner shrimp/snails for now.

Best Regards to you all,
Mike /// - Reno , NV
Studio 1 Design
02A03B07-9CBF-41E8-946B-CAC38E1BB40F.gif

OP
OP
R

Reef-Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,
I do have the " Pompous" fish also It is Kin to the "Puffer Fish", a bit poky and bloated at times.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Name is Mike :

Well,,

Best Regards to you all,
Mike /// - Reno , NV
Studio 1 Design
All this new tech and the same ol' problems along with some new ones! Sometimes I think we need to get back to basics and stop chasing numbers, equipment, etc. Welcome!

OP
OP
R

Reef-Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board! quite the journey!
Thanks.
Long-winded but there's the facts. Of course very little of the whole trip.

This Hobby has changed in ways the Old Timers would not believe, OOOOO wait a second, I am those old-timers now. Well 58 is not that old LOL

I was 22 when I started my first salt fish fix. I go to a dealer's home, at his Moms place, in the basement where he had (:cool: 4"x4" --12"tall Tanks on tables. He worked for the Government in many countries doing Marine Work. He had the best connections., knowing Walt Smith and Teal personally. His Christmas tree Rocks would have like 24-30 or more worms and the Rock alone would blow one's mind with color for $3 bucks a pound, you could get Boxes of Base rock with sometimes the worms in them for free. Also, other things from wild colonies would show up that one might not like and eat your fish, like the manta shrimp, nasty critter ate 12 of my Clowns that lived in a 14inch Dia green Carpet. That 600 gallons had that carpet in the middle and took over 1/3 center of the tank I had Clams in.

I still have my EURO Skimmer, Coral Hound-C02 Tanks, Wavemakers, and Iwasaki Lamps. Also 5 black Home Depot Large trash bags full of Bio-balls. I figure I'll never get that big again but it was surely fun back in the day. Can't count the time i got ZAPPED moving power around from upstairs and adding dedicated circuits.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back