Help new reefer

TGratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I'm new to the reefing hobby and I purchased a waterbox 60.2 already established.

All my corals were looking great untill I spot fed them with reef roids, not sure if it was just a fluke or what.

After feeding I noticed all my corals closed up , and most of them haven't re opened or they don't look very good. And I'm looking for some advice on what I did wrong.

I also have some rock flower anemones and and 3 out of the 4 look fine after feeding, but my biggest and healthiest one looks deflated now and it's been over 5 days since I fed them.

20240326_191102.jpg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I'm new to the reefing hobby and I purchased a waterbox 60.2 already established.

All my corals were looking great untill I spot fed them with reef roids, not sure if it was just a fluke or what.

After feeding I noticed all my corals closed up , and most of them haven't re opened or they don't look very good. And I'm looking for some advice on what I did wrong.

I also have some rock flower anemones and and 3 out of the 4 look fine after feeding, but my biggest and healthiest one looks deflated now and it's been over 5 days since I fed them.

20240326_191102.jpg
Reef roids raises phosphates, a lot. How much did you feed? For a tank that volume even a half a teaspoon can cause a phosphate spike. Some corals will close up for days when there’s a large boost in nutrients in the water.

Can you post your water parameters in general?

OP
OP
T

TGratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a api master reef kit, I know it's not great it's just what I have at the moment.

Calcium 380ppm
Kh 161.1
Dkh 9
NItrate 0
Phosphates were between 0 and 0.25 the color was more yellow than grey

OP
OP
T

TGratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tested ph in a couple weeks but last time I checked it it was fine , salinity is good 1.025

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back