Well my tank cracked today

tc269

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey anyone in the foxvalley group, my tank cracked today so i am on the look for a 90gl or slightly larger tank and stand. If anyone has one for sale let me know thanks. oh in good condition also
tony

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gal reef setup for sale on GB craigslist incl halides and skimmer w/ rock, fish, and coral for $300. the guy sounds like he's sick of it and quitting. can almost certainly offer and get it for less and sell the parts not needed and do okay on it...

sorry to hear that. what happened???

OP
OP
tc269

tc269

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a brand new 90 gallon tank now.. Ill try to stay away from used to give a little peice of mind.

As to what happend??? I dont know... eveyone online seems to say its the stand but I cant find an issue with my stand at all? Its all level and even.. I went to work eveything was fine. came home to an empty tank?? Anyone in this group have any ideas??

OP
OP
tc269

tc269

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC00921.jpg

DSC00920.jpg

no not a blown seam the whole tank cracked on the back wall. all my livestock seems to be doing ok but I am sure I will loose some corals seeing as i just shoveled them into a big rubbermaid container.

new tank
DSC00917.jpg

custom the old tank is just garbage to me..

OP
OP
tc269

tc269

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep the stand looks good in all of the corners..

2FarNorth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it coulda been dropped on that corner at one time, and have a small crack, and finally it gave out? is the frame nicked or cracked in that area?

On a side note what are you planning on doing with the tank?

OP
OP
tc269

tc269

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it coulda been dropped on that corner at one time, and have a small crack, and finally it gave out? is the frame nicked or cracked in that area?

On a side note what are you planning on doing with the tank?

which tank the rubbermaid, or the old cracked 90 gallon?

OP
OP
tc269

tc269

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC00924.jpg

DSC00926.jpg

Well we figured out what was wrong. the stand had or developed a dip where the tank was suppose to rest on. you could fit a piece of cardboard though it, not a big piece of cardboard more like just a piece of carboard paper. We also noticed a chip of glass missing where the frame covered the glass and this looks to be where the crack started. So we guess the combination of the two caused the crack. to fix the dip I bought a laminate counter top (yes what goes in you kitchen) and put in very small shims where the dip was. The counter top was 3/4 an inch thick, and perfectly flat!! To fix the other problem I bought a brand new marineland tank with corner flow. I am back on my horse.... but if this one goes south I am out!! Let me know if there is anything wrong with my setup everything is level and flat now.

pic of the counter top I used.
DSC00925.jpg

OP
OP
tc269

tc269

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 90 gallon is junk to me. but I live in marshfield so I dont think anyone would wanna drive to get a cracked tank. and I cant fit it in my car for the frag swap either. sooo...

crabbejoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks man, I'm sorry. And from pics I've seen, your tank was awesome.

I'm glad you're not throwing in the towel just yet!

2FarNorth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way it sounds I'm thinking that the tank was either hit or dropped on that corner before you got it... making it weak, I've set tanks up only being supported by the very ends and never had a problem (not recommended of course!)

Good luck with the transfer and setup!! Hopefully everything makes it through ok!

OP
OP
tc269

tc269

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here we are 4 months latter so i thought I would post what she looks like now. Not bad for having a big mess only 4 months ago. But i still cant sleep right at night now. Everytime the tank gurgles or makes a funny sound I have to run out and check on it. lol

PC190132.jpg

PC150091.jpg

PC190117.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back