What’s going on here?

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this frag for one week now. I noticed the other day this spot started lower but above the base. The frag itself has decent pe and otherwise appears healthy. When the white spot first started it did look like there was a tiny visible hole in the same location. All other frags appear healthy. It’s a frag tank. Over 10 years old. Nitrates did drop to 0 according to Hanna a few days ago. They usually hover around 2-3. Other than that I plan on getting them back up slowly. Long time lps fairly new to sps

Thanks

IMG_5313.jpeg IMG_5314.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like some die offprimarily due to low light in that area. Stress from shipping and a new emvironment I would consider secondary variable contributing to it. I'd leave it where it's at now for at least a few weeks until it' had a chance to adjust it's photobiology some.

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this something th
looks like some die offprimarily due to low light in that area. Stress from shipping and a new emvironment I would consider secondary variable contributing to it. I'd leave it where it's at now for at least a few weeks until it' had a chance to adjust its photobiology some.
Is this something that given proper conditions typicallly remedies itself?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve had this frag for one week now. I noticed the other day this spot started lower but above the base. The frag itself has decent pe and otherwise appears healthy. When the white spot first started it did look like there was a tiny visible hole in the same location. All other frags appear healthy. It’s a frag tank. Over 10 years old. Nitrates did drop to 0 according to Hanna a few days ago. They usually hover around 2-3. Other than that I plan on getting them back up slowly. Long time lps fairly new to sps

Thanks

IMG_5313.jpeg IMG_5314.jpeg
Elevate nitrate and phosphate and assure alk hasn't spiked as well as drop in CA
Please confirm the spots are skeleton and not sponge? (hard to tell in the light)

Medium flow and light for this specimen

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should also note. Maybe not it might be obvious to the more experienced sps keepers but the larger circular white spot in the middle is from fragging

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elevate nitrate and phosphate and assure alk hasn't spiked as well as drop in CA
Please confirm the spots are skeleton and not sponge? (hard to tell in the light)

Medium flow and light for this specimen
I was slightly concerned with light being a little low. Have a par meter coming today to check. It’s lot with Kessila360x and xho reef Brite. They definitely were not there the first 3-4 days but about day 5 or so I noticed them. Started small and grew slightly over a few days. CA was at 380ish which is slightly lower than I would like

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was slightly concerned with light being a little low. Have a par meter coming today to check. It’s lot with Kessila360x and xho reef Brite. They definitely were not there the first 3-4 days but about day 5 or so I noticed them. Started small and grew slightly over a few days. CA was at 380ish which is slightly lower than I would like
Those will likely be contributors. Kessils unfortunately high on shimmer opposed to complete light delivery and depth penetration. Consider another XHO OR Orphek OR3 light bar

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom of the tank was low 100’s with lights at 100% and 7” above the tank. My xr15 is throwing similar numbers but only set at 60%

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back