What’s going on here?

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up to find my gsp colonies looking quite miserable, half opened, dark in color, so I took a closer look and proded them, and this red stuff comes out, I’m not sure if it’s zoaxanthelle, gametes, or even toxins but I don’t know, any help?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tyler_Fishman

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recent change or corals near by? Can you describe the red stuff? and where is it on ge coral exactly
No not at all, the only thing I can think of is that it got a little too warm at night, but that’s happened before and they’ve been perfectly fine. The liquid is watery, like they are releasing gametes during spawning.

OP
OP
Tyler_Fishman

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking it’s bleaching, because of the temp, it got to 85 about, and I can only think it caused them to bleach out from heat stress, although right now I can assume their not white, I’m not at the tank atm so I don’t know if they’ve recovered or not yet.

Rich1987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if the tank got to 85 why would the turn brown and have that red slime stuff when you prod them... I’m interested in updates as well

OP
OP
Tyler_Fishman

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing happened, I’m sure it was just them expelling their zooxanthelle due to stress, all my corals are quite happy now.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 41 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back