What’s going on with this torch?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brah02
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
5CE9C07E-B1D6-43F0-B1B0-5ACD0C928150.jpeg
Skimmer off and take out activated carbon.
What if I can only get 1-2 tabs until next week? 80g tank
 
What if I can only get 1-2 tabs until next week? 80g tank
That’s half the dosage but better than nothing I suppose.
 
Frag the dead head off. If you have peroxide. Dip it in a 50/50 mix. Swish the head around in it for a minute or so.
Then put it back in the tank or what? I don't have a separate tank. I did just get 4 tabs of the Cipro so it should be a full dose to get the tank treated as a whole.
 
I will say the dosing @kevgib67 uses is much higher than what I have used in the past. But, I have read that dosage as well and seen good luck with it. I dont think either way of dosing is bad for inhabitants. I have only seen improvement in pretty much every coral in the tank, increased growth, increased flesh band extension, and fuller healthier polyps soon after treatment. As for fish, other inverts, and plants no negative side effect I could see.

I have some idea at least in my situation as to whats happening though. I have a very heavy coral load and low fish load. I think, while I can not confirm with tests I have that the bacterial ecology is being affected (antibiotic, makes sense) which is allowing ammonia to rise or giving corals a chance at it first. My nitrates diminished which was one test I can get fairly accurately. Before dosing it was a pretty steady 28ppm, after the *first time I dosed it dropped to 15ppm and stayed steady at that level for weeks. I used the * because I recently had to redose as stuff started to go south again, out of the blue 1 torch lost 2 heads out of 6 and another smaller 2 head lost both this happened fast less than 24 hrs same bjd like experience. While I used a different dosing method than @kevgib67 I still dosed more than 3 times the amount in the dosing instructions and doubled the length of the treatment I either didnt kill off the infection completely or there are other things at work that cause bjd which could mean the beginning of the ailment is viral or paramecium then "bad" bacteria move in. Before this newest round nitrates had crept back up to 25-30 ppm again but once again had become steady at that level which is a level I am perfectly happy in having as I have no real algae issues and its far lower than my perfectly healthy reef tanks from the past. Again my nitrates are registering quite a bit lower its only been 2 weeks since the last treatment. This has been an ongoing battle for over a year and a half the first treatment worked well for the longest time with least amount of loss yet so I guess if this doesnt work long term with an upcoming tank upgrade also I will use this higher dose method and maybe pick up that hannah ammonia tester to see if my assumptions have any merit.

What I used for dosing btw.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/in-tank-cipro-dosing.888786/
 
That’s half the dosage but better than nothing I suppose.
Update, I was able to do the full dose last night. Fish all look well, most of the LPS looks good so far, Torches seem fine so far, except the one loss from yesterday. I do see one frogspawn is closed up and my tiger torch is retracting a little. I did lose 4 acro frags I had on a rack though. Out of about 25 sps frags to only lose 4 is ok in my opinion, still have decent PE on most of them so I think maybe the 4 were just more sensitive maybe?
 
Update, I was able to do the full dose last night. Fish all look well, most of the LPS looks good so far, Torches seem fine so far, except the one loss from yesterday. I do see one frogspawn is closed up and my tiger torch is retracting a little. I did lose 4 acro frags I had on a rack though. Out of about 25 sps frags to only lose 4 is ok in my opinion, still have decent PE on most of them so I think maybe the 4 were just more sensitive maybe?
Hopefully you are turning a corner. Not sure about acros , I don’t have any in my tank but no corals were negatively affected.
 
Update, I was able to do the full dose last night. Fish all look well, most of the LPS looks good so far, Torches seem fine so far, except the one loss from yesterday. I do see one frogspawn is closed up and my tiger torch is retracting a little. I did lose 4 acro frags I had on a rack though. Out of about 25 sps frags to only lose 4 is ok in my opinion, still have decent PE on most of them so I think maybe the 4 were just more sensitive maybe?
Hopefully you are turning a corner. Not sure about acros , I don’t have any in my tank but no corals were negatively affected.
 
Thanks man! I hope so too!

Also, GO DUCKS! 🤣
I am Ohio State first and Big Ten second. I’ll agree with your statement! I’ll even root from that team up north when they represent the Big Ten in the postseason. Directions from where I live to the University up north is go west until you smell it and then north until you step in it. 😉
 
I am Ohio State first and Big Ten second. I’ll agree with your statement! I’ll even root from that team up north when they represent the Big Ten in the postseason. Directions from where I live to the University up north is go west until you smell it and then north until you step in it. 😉
A couple of guys in my company are big Ohio State fans so now that we're in the same conference its been good fun for sure!
 
A couple of guys in my company are big Ohio State fans so now that we're in the same conference its been good fun for sure!
My wife and I are Ohio State University alumni.
 
Update, I was able to do the full dose last night. Fish all look well, most of the LPS looks good so far, Torches seem fine so far, except the one loss from yesterday. I do see one frogspawn is closed up and my tiger torch is retracting a little. I did lose 4 acro frags I had on a rack though. Out of about 25 sps frags to only lose 4 is ok in my opinion, still have decent PE on most of them so I think maybe the 4 were just more sensitive maybe?
I have a few acros nothing super high end (I dont think lol). I have one of the purple with green growth tips, I think it was sold as a cali tort but not sure thats correct and Joleen I think they called it. When I look those up though the pics look different so I could be way off, or it could be a parameter of mine that makes them enough different. A few other sps/acros as well. None of my corals acted weird other than increased growth. The "cali" had been a decent sized frag for a long time. After the first time I dosed cipro it turned into a small colony within about 2 months and has not stopped growing since. The other was a small 1/2" frag forever and is now over an inch and has completely changed appearance looks like a green based red gold and orange polyp milli now, no branching yet but base is growing well. No idea if its a milli or just got real fuzzy all of a sudden. Zoas went completely insane, and my really cool neon green actual branch off a real branching duncan popped so many heads it looks like all the other clumps of duncan you get other than color (I'm not mad but not happy about that one either). I am running my chain out, I should stop. Its not all roses, what is growing crazy good is starting to crowd each other, Its getting dicey!
 
I am Ohio State first and Big Ten second. I’ll agree with your statement! I’ll even root from that team up north when they represent the Big Ten in the postseason. Directions from where I live to the University up north is go west until you smell it and then north until you step in it. 😉
Oh man just when I thought you were cool! 🤣
Jk I dont really care. The sports I do like are not state focused and way more contact.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new