What’s in my water??

anthonyG24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pls help thank you in advance

I’m not sure if this is sand, makes my tank look ugly. Checked my water parameters too. Did water change yesterday but there’s still white spot all over aquarium. Not sure if this is sand. Looks like sand. Can anyone help me how to fix this. Can I add crushed corals on top of my sand to prevent this? Or change my substrate? My substrate is Caribsea supernatural aquarium sand 3362B1D0-9760-4A18-84B3-E6887896E369.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2169.mov
    10.9 MB

BigRed78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it stuck to the glass? I have these super small filter feeding worms all over my glass. I can really make out much from the picture. If you tank is acrylic and not glass try scraping it off with a razor blade.

OP
OP
A

anthonyG24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it stuck to the glass? I have these super small filter feeding worms all over my glass. I can really make out much from the picture. If you tank is acrylic and not glass try scraping it off with a razor blade.

no, my tank is glass. It’s floating all over my tank. it looks like sand to me but I’m not too sure. Whenever I turn on my power head it becomes like that. I wanted to add crushed corals on top hoping it would prevent it from flowing all over my tank but I’m not too sure if I can. I read a thread that says put course substrate on top like crushed corals. Then read another thread yesterday saying that Mixing live sand and crushed coral isn’t a good idea.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polish_20200506_011127297.jpg

The sand you have is .25-.75mm. it's very fine sand and will blow around very easily.

Two choices, one - remove it and replace it with aragonite special grade. Two - add some crushed coral substrate, which won't eliminate all of it blowing around, but may help.

BigRed78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago did you put the sand in? I like the look of really fine sand so I just arranged my poweheads so it doesn’t blow the sand around. Any chance you did somthing to stir it up or has it always been like that? Also are you running any mechanical filtration?

OP
OP
A

anthonyG24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polish_20200506_011127297.jpg

The sand you have is .25-.75mm. it's very fine sand and will blow around very easily.

Two choices, one - remove it and replace it with aragonite special grade. Two - add some crushed coral substrate, which won't eliminate all of it blowing around, but may help.

ok thanks a lot that was very helpful. bought crushed corals yesterday but didn’t add it yet since I wasn’t too sure. wanted to confirm it first. Appreciate it

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back