What’s on my rock, hiding underneath hair algae

Foggy Pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, any idea what this is, I have a 3 yr old ish tank and nothing is new and I haven’t really seen something like this before. Only pest Iv had are bristle worms. I noticed when I started to clean tank and small white tubes kinda blew around with the algae? Vermid Snails? If so what can I do, bumble bee snails? Kinda a lot to make sure I glue them all and it’s hiding in the algae. There two spots in my tank with some hair algeA, it never goes crazy so I just kinda leave it

IMG_5113.jpeg IMG_5112.jpeg

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think those are vermetids - they don't appear to be a tube, and the spike is unusual. They appear to have a rounded end. At a glance, I'm thinking they are caulurpa, a macroalgae. Those look exactly like the tips of the 'runners' on grape caulurpa, including the little spikes. But I wouldn't rule out some kind of sponge or tunicate.

OP
OP
Foggy Pirate

Foggy Pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off the same rock this was growing in the shade, I think way to big for pineapple sponge , but it would be nice if that’s all the other stuff is.

Attachments

• IMG_5115.jpeg
    IMG_5115.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 37

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look spongy. But you would know if it was a pineapple sponge. They are very well named, and also fuzzy where as your first pictures look smooth.

OP
OP
Foggy Pirate

Foggy Pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look spongy. But you would know if it was a pineapple sponge. They are very well named, and also fuzzy where as your first pictures look smooth.
Yes, i have had a bunch of pineapple sponges in the past when I started the tank, and yes they are very distinct and look Exacly like pineapples lol. Ya idk what that stuff is. ‍♂️

OP
OP
Foggy Pirate

Foggy Pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, i have had a bunch of pineapple sponges in the past when I started the tank, and yes they are very distinct and look Exacly like pineapples lol. Ya idk what that stuff is.

OP
OP
Foggy Pirate

Foggy Pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also found
I don't think those are vermetids - they don't appear to be a tube, and the spike is unusual. They appear to have a rounded end. At a glance, I'm thinking they are caulurpa, a macroalgae. Those look exactly like the tips of the 'runners' on grape caulurpa, including the little spikes. But I wouldn't rule out some kind of sponge or tunicate.
also found this on same rock as I’m cleaning

Attachments

• IMG_5122.jpeg
    IMG_5122.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
Foggy Pirate

Foggy Pirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, any idea what this is, I have a 3 yr old ish tank and nothing is new and I haven’t really seen something like this before. Only pest Iv had are bristle worms. I noticed when I started to clean tank and small white tubes kinda blew around with the algae? Vermid Snails? If so what can I do, bumble bee snails? Kinda a lot to make sure I glue them all and it’s hiding in the algae. There two spots in my tank with some hair algeA, it never goes crazy so I just kinda leave it

IMG_5113.jpeg IMG_5112.jpeg
Those maybe vermid?

Attachments

• IMG_5124.jpeg
    IMG_5124.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5123.jpeg
    IMG_5123.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 27

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back