What’s the bare minimum tank size w/o fluctuation?

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So whats the smallest tank in term of gallons i can purchase w/o parameters (Salinity,alk,temp)fluctuate wildly? My guess a 60g with sump?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even larger tanks can fluctuate wildly depending on the situation. There are many more factors at play than just tank volume.
If I were to suggest a tank with decent size, that wouldn't break all the banks getting it setup, would be about 100 gallons

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @ndrwater said, every tank is going to have fluctuations. All you can do is try to set it up to eliminate those fluctuations. Salinity is the easiest to control if you have an ATO. dKH/cal/mag all depend on what you have consumption wise in the system. But you will have fluctuation in parameters no matter the size of the system due to consumption.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallons is my minimum for less wacky stuff. That being said, I am running a 60g cube right now and the parameters can swing a bit more than I like, but I chose the inhabitants knowing that this would be a possibility.

Smaller tanks are not impossible, just gotta be on your game more.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a 60g cube so bad right now. What do you currently have in your tank? Got any pics?

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fairly easy to keep even a 20g stable if you spend money on the right things.

Salinity - a high quality ATO (Tunze) w/ an appropriately sized reservoir.

Temp - make sure your heater is big enough, hook it up to an Inkbird temp controller, and have an appropriately sized cooling fan plugged into the cooling plug with the fan blowing across the top of your tank. Evaporative cooling can be very powerful when applied correctly.

Alk, etc - Tropic Marin All for Reef only needs one dosing pump and that handles everything save for maybe a weekly iodine addition if you have a lot of softies.

My place has horrible insulation and can get as low as high 50's in a cold snap, and nearly 100 degrees in summer heatwaves. Just have to refill the ATO reservoir frequently during the heat waves.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back