Choosing between two tanks

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at either a Red Sea Reefer Max G2 200 or Reefer Max G2 250, and trying to decide based on which would like nicer in terms of being able to aquascape. What is throwing me off is that with the larger tank you do get another 12" in length, but you lose almost 3" back to front. There also is an internal overflow which is about 3" I guess. So the width in reality is19.6 versus 16.7. I do not like to put rock against the back glass either.

Max 200:
L- 23.6"
W- 22.6
H- 20.9

Max 250:
L- 35.4"
W- 19.7
H- 20.9

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of it I think comes down to your plans for the tank. Tangs really like horizontal swimming space. A 200 gallon cube and a 200 gallon 7 ft long tank are not equal in terms of tang swimming space.

Also, depends on how you’ll view the tank. Deeper tanks lend better to 3 sided viewing, where longer tanks are better for frontal view.

Personally, I’d go with a longer, shallower (depth) tank and just scape accordingly. That’s just me though. The internal overflow is more of a concern for managing flow, I usually try to use my aquascape to hide it so it’s not as visible when coral grow in. I also like internal so I can put the tank right up against a wall and not have it be 3” off the wall.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google: Red Sea seal failures
I did and I’m not concerned. My local fish store has carries red sea for 12 years and said that was a specific model. Not the ones I’m looking at I’m looking at not the G2. He said if there were such an issue, then why would I want to carry it and have the headache?

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. I wouldn't touch a red sea tank with a 50ft pole. There are other 'insta tank' manufacturers out there.
As in?

I looked at Innovative Marine but didn't like that it only has 16" height.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If aqua scaping is your main focus. I recommend getting an aquarium of 24" width minimum.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As in?

I looked at Innovative Marine but didn't like that it only has 16" height.
Cade, Waterbox, Fijicube, Nyos, Aquaforest, are off of the top of my head.

There ARE other options...

If your LFS is worth its salt, they should be able to configure a turnkey tank (usually cheaper than a insta tank).

I'm oldschool, so I'd rather buy the glass, stand and sump and customize the piping myself. No worries of metric piping & valves or being unhappy with some aspect of the configuration

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept tanks for 20 years. I'm just getting back in and just want an all in one solution. Basically looking for a nice aquascape, bubble tip anemone, pair of clowns, and another couple of fish and some softies.

This was my last two tanks before I moved last year out of state. These were just tank/stand and my own plumbing. Yes, the is a French. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0725-2.JPG
    IMG_0725-2.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0726-2.JPG
    IMG_0726-2.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0727-2.JPG
    IMG_0727-2.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 43

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did and I’m not concerned. My local fish store has carries red sea for 12 years and said that was a specific model. Not the ones I’m looking at I’m looking at not the G2. He said if there were such an issue, then why would I want to carry it and have the headache?

Refreshing to see you've done your homework.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cade, Waterbox, Fijicube, Nyos, Aquaforest, are off of the top of my head.

There ARE other options...

If your LFS is worth its salt, they should be able to configure a turnkey tank (usually cheaper than a insta tank).

I'm oldschool, so I'd rather buy the glass, stand and sump and customize the piping myself. No worries of metric piping & valves or being unhappy with some aspect of the configuration
Same. I'm an old school reefer and I've been doing this a long time. I like things a certain way and I know what works for me, which often isn't the way most people do, so off the shelf stuff isn't my thing. Just give me the glass tank and I'll handle the rest. For a plumbed tank I'm gonna build my own stand too. I mean to my knowledge no commercially available stands are designed to hold water in an emergency. But if were OP I would go with the widest tank you can as it really open up your aquascaping options.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have racked my brain for thee last week over a tank decision. I read up on Red Sea, Waterbox, Pro Star, Nyos, Aqua forest, and Innovative Marine.

I decided on Innovative Marine. Now I need to decide between the 75 INT or the 75 EXT. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with EXT because the overflow is not taking up space in the middle and i wanted to hack at NSA scapes this time.
The only drawback i hear is if you need to remove the plumbing, as it has the potential to leak outside the bounderies of the tank.

But if scape is important id go with EXT.

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have racked my brain for thee last week over a tank decision. I read up on Red Sea, Waterbox, Pro Star, Nyos, Aqua forest, and Innovative Marine.

I decided on Innovative Marine. Now I need to decide between the 75 INT or the 75 EXT. Any thoughts?

It's a tough decision! I was in the same boat as you, but had Red Sea G2 350 vs. Innovative Marine EXT 100. I had considered Waterbox as well. I went with Innovative Marine. It is such a gorgeous tank, and I love their APS stands (and the sump is huge, but at the cost of no storage space in the cabinet, if you go with their complete reef system like I did!). I wanted the ~4 feet length to have more flexibility with fish options.

I went with EXT myself just to have no obstruction in the display, BUT the tank has to sit further from the wall (not a big deal to me).

Best of luck! Let us know how you make out!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a tough decision! I was in the same boat as you, but had Red Sea G2 350 vs. Innovative Marine EXT 100. I had considered Waterbox as well. I went with Innovative Marine. It is such a gorgeous tank, and I love their APS stands (and the sump is huge, but at the cost of no storage space in the cabinet, if you go with their complete reef system like I did!). I wanted the ~4 feet length to have more flexibility with fish options.

I went with EXT myself just to have no obstruction in the display, BUT the tank has to sit further from the wall (not a big deal to me).

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of this setup.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I actually had read. through your thread while I was researching tanks.

I'm still wrestling between the INT and EXT. I do want the EXT but just want to make sure it doesn't sit too far out into the room. I assume I will lose 6-7" due to the overflow/plumbing?

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had read. through your thread while I was researching tanks.

I'm still wrestling between the INT and EXT. I do want the EXT but just want to make sure it doesn't sit too far out into the room. I assume I will lose 6-7" due to the overflow/plumbing?

I'm not sure yet! Mine isn't all assembled yet, but my overflow is about 3.5" deep I believe so I was guessing around 4 inches away from the wall *at least* we'd have to ask a few of the other members on here who have some EXTs set up!

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure yet! Mine isn't all assembled yet, but my overflow is about 3.5" deep I believe so I was guessing around 4 inches away from the wall *at least* we'd have to ask a few of the other members on here who have some EXTs set up!
I spoke with IM and they said it would be more like 6" or so because the pipes are on the exterior as opposed to going staring down on the INT.

I'll have to look for some videos as I dont know why the pipes would stick out further than the overflow box. I assume they would go straight down. Also where you might leave space behind a tank even with an interior overflow, you are already leaving that amount of space anyway because of the exterior skimmer box.

Well, I need to make my decision in the next 15 hours or so as I am going to the store and ordering it tomorrow.

Summitwynds2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you decide? And how do you like it?
I spoke with IM and they said it would be more like 6" or so because the pipes are on the exterior as opposed to going staring down on the INT.

I'll have to look for some videos as I dont know why the pipes would stick out further than the overflow box. I assume they would go straight down. Also where you might leave space behind a tank even with an interior overflow, you are already leaving that amount of space anyway because of the exterior skimmer box.

Well, I need to make my decision in the next 15 hours or so as I am going to the store and ordering it tomorrow.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back