Difficulty in finding a light/light combo solution for RS Max Nano XL cube tank

nanoreefer23

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2024
Messages
101
Reaction score
27
Location
Piscataway
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a Red Sea Max Nano XL with a layout of 19x 19 x 19 inch cube. I already have a point source LED light (Red Sea 50w LED) but it’s not powerful enough and doesn’t have the spread/coverage I need to grow Acro/SPS colonies. Many of the popular lights discussed are gauged towards rectangular tanks. Below are the criteria I’d like the solution to meet.
  • Great Spread, reducing shadows from growing SPS colonies
  • Minimal Spillover of tank
  • High Par - specifically want to be able to run UV-Blue pretty high to reach PAR levels of at least 300 at top of tank w/o cranking up the whites channels all the way (I like the actinic look)
    • Have an AI Prime HD on a small tank which I like but I have to crank up the whites to get the par I need
  • Id also like to be able to utilize these lights when I’m able to set up my Red Sea Reefer Max G2 + 525 (47.2 " L, 19.7 “ W, 20.9” H) versus buying all new lights
  • Can be a mixture of lights like including strip lights for more spread
  • Would like SOME shimmer but it’s not a deal breaker if the other criteria are met
  • I’ve not been able to find any hybrid T5 LED fixtures less than 24inch in length which would spillover my 19 inch wide tank.
  • Willing to look at more “craft” lights like Reefi Uno Pro 2 and Illumagic X4 (or others im not aware of)
Any suggestions, prior experiences of doing the same would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advanced for the help Reefing Fam!
 
Reefbreeders photon.
I run the 24 on my new rs170 nem system.
I ran 2 16hds on my 18" nano cube. First 4 100% the rest 50% worked well with the 16's.
Photon on rs170
20241027_144239.jpg

16hds on 18" nano cube.
20220926_094502.jpg
 
The tank is a Red Sea Max Nano XL with a layout of 19x 19 x 19 inch cube. I already have a point source LED light (Red Sea 50w LED) but it’s not powerful enough and doesn’t have the spread/coverage I need to grow Acro/SPS colonies. Many of the popular lights discussed are gauged towards rectangular tanks. Below are the criteria I’d like the solution to meet.
  • Great Spread, reducing shadows from growing SPS colonies
  • Minimal Spillover of tank
  • High Par - specifically want to be able to run UV-Blue pretty high to reach PAR levels of at least 300 at top of tank w/o cranking up the whites channels all the way (I like the actinic look)
    • Have an AI Prime HD on a small tank which I like but I have to crank up the whites to get the par I need
  • Id also like to be able to utilize these lights when I’m able to set up my Red Sea Reefer Max G2 + 525 (47.2 " L, 19.7 “ W, 20.9” H) versus buying all new lights
  • Can be a mixture of lights like including strip lights for more spread
  • Would like SOME shimmer but it’s not a deal breaker if the other criteria are met
  • I’ve not been able to find any hybrid T5 LED fixtures less than 24inch in length which would spillover my 19 inch wide tank.
  • Willing to look at more “craft” lights like Reefi Uno Pro 2 and Illumagic X4 (or others im not aware of)
Any suggestions, prior experiences of doing the same would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advanced for the help Reefing Fam!
Photon makes a 16" unit.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new