What’s the largest Jawbreaker?

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who has or has seen a monster Jawbreaker Mushroom? Let’s see them!

I didn’t realize mine has grown so much until today. Hard to get a photo showing it’s size!

Post up your large mommas!
DB88EF18-306F-4A4B-AEF6-F65D6EE9C6B5.jpeg
8C78EA54-04D3-4717-9D06-44B44A963FB1.jpeg

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a biggie! I thought I heard stories of 4 inchers but never saw one.

My mother is a little bigger than a Gatorade cap when flattened out.
5FD3B34F-5C08-4E42-9CD8-BB0153A815DA.jpeg
Very nice! I would love to see a 4” Jawbreaker.

I think mine has to be pushing towards 3” when it’s fully open.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Largest I ever had in the yellow / red variety is like 3-4" around which took over 4 years, I am intrigued as the jawbreaker pattern used to mean a large pie piece shaped alternating color that literally broke the jaw ( mouth ) of the disc outward. I see jawbreaker this and jawbreaker that , but they just yellow shrooms with some red / green / blue spots on it lol . The jawbreaker pattern which made these valuable to begin with has been , cut and cut and cut away. This is a jawbreaker , if it does not have this pattern , to me it is not. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw0T5BSApVnhe-ak9arF2eIZ&ust=1579444124009471

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Largest I ever had in the yellow / red variety is like 3-4" around which took over 4 years, I am intrigued as the jawbreaker pattern used to mean a large pie piece shaped alternating color that literally broke the jaw ( mouth ) of the disc outward. I see jawbreaker this and jawbreaker that , but they just yellow shrooms with some red / green / blue spots on it lol . The jawbreaker pattern which made these valuable to begin with has been , cut and cut and cut away. This is a jawbreaker , if it does not have this pattern , to me it is not. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiRqPaXro3nAhWom-AKHbPVAwkQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https://www.reefinsanity.com/product-page/ultra-jawbreaker-mushroom&psig=AOvVaw0T5BSApVnhe-ak9arF2eIZ&ust=1579444124009471
Just curious, are you stating that as a fact or opinion? I have not heard it before.

Is that not what a Jawbreaker is? Yellow mushrooms with the red, green, purple spots/streaks. Most of them start out as yellow and gain the colors as they grow.The colors may not always streak from the mouth out.

Many Poletti lineage shrooms don’t have what your specifying.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the amount of JB babies you see get sold I am surprised there is such a small response to this thread. There should be a lotta nice mammas out there by now.
Right? I would like to see a massive Jawbreaker. I’ve seen other large mushrooms 4”+ so surely somebody has one.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jawbreaker used to refer to the pattern, not one specific mushroom at all. Alot of corals can be jawbreaker pattern, just like warpaint ect... thats what I meant . It is an observation of how things evolve in colloquialism the divide and conquest of all things reefing has surely taken hold. For example alot of "Lineage named corals" from boutiques were traded way before the "lineage" started or the name. Perception is everything. The name is a literally descriptive pattern identifier. I wish more people grew them out to their glory. Instead of being greedy ( cutting ) and morphing alot to the speckled rainbow disco's they are now. They would have got alot more genuine jawbreakers out of the deal.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Largest I ever had in the yellow / red variety is like 3-4" around which took over 4 years, I am intrigued as the jawbreaker pattern used to mean a large pie piece shaped alternating color that literally broke the jaw ( mouth ) of the disc outward. I see jawbreaker this and jawbreaker that , but they just yellow shrooms with some red / green / blue spots on it lol . The jawbreaker pattern which made these valuable to begin with has been , cut and cut and cut away. This is a jawbreaker , if it does not have this pattern , to me it is not. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiRqPaXro3nAhWom-AKHbPVAwkQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https://www.reefinsanity.com/product-page/ultra-jawbreaker-mushroom&psig=AOvVaw0T5BSApVnhe-ak9arF2eIZ&ust=1579444124009471

That’s really interesting. I actually have this hunch that if you did splice a jawbreaker in half it might actually bring out more color and larger streaks as the shroom stretches itself back into a circle. Never tried it though, I like my mamma too much.

To me I just thought there are different “grades” of jawbreakers. No 2 are alike, some stay almost solid oranges and some go crazy with spots and streaks of red, green, and purple. The mother is a good indicator of the babies potential but in no way guarantees it.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back