What’s these small white posts on my ORA Red Planet?

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're a tan/brown color; the one you have pictured looks fine but tough to judge given how blue the image is.

43127940862_779ac9bee3_b.jpg

So I blew it off and grabbed it with my hands and that wasn’t one of them.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underside of an infected acro might look like this. Note the eggs and bite marks.

Eggs will never be on living coral tissue, always dead coral or frag plugs etc. Brown eggs:
eggs.JPG

Here are bite marks as well as two AEFW. They blend in and are very hard to see, until you know they're there. This is the underside of the coral.
bites.JPG

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not wrong, but better to nip them in the bud before they get out of hand. If it were me I would observe for a few days and if any more bite marks I would start with the Flatworm Stop treatment for several months. I wouldn't want to pull them and dip a bunch of times personally.

Last edited by a moderator:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to flog the hell out of whomever spreads these to us. I got some monti eating nudis from someone here. IF they are reading, I lost every SINGLE montipora I had. How do I know it was them? I didn’t have any until I got a montipora from them. Days later, blam, all over my tank and eating all of my montipora.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Questions:
1) I've luckily never had to deal with AEFW, how specific are those little white marks for AEFW?
2) Did the concept of using Levamisole to treat AEFW turn out to not work?

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve clearly never suffered through either issue. The photo alone in the original post is enough evidence for anyone that has been through AEFW before. Myself included. You can either take action right away, or sit around and pretend there’s no problem while your corals either away for the next few months.

It is classic AEFW. No color change in corals. Mine looked great too. Except when they started to wither. If AEFW was fast, they would starve themselves out of food. It takes months for most folks to realize there is AEFW in the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve zoomed and changed lighting to show additional bites that are not so obvious. This isn’t marks from fish or anything else. Don’t listen to bad advice and ignore hard evidence of a problem. The light spots are when a flatworm is done eating. While they are eating a portion of acro flesh they are the same color as the acro itself. Eggs are notoriously hard to find. Most of the time they are on the underside, but can sometimes be slightly off the acro.

0dbc4812ddfe1f439468dce652a0e4f4.jpg

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve zoomed and changed lighting to show additional bites that are not so obvious. This isn’t marks from fish or anything else. Don’t listen to bad advice and ignore hard evidence of a problem. The light spots are when a flatworm is done eating. While they are eating a portion of acro flesh they are the same color as the acro itself. Eggs are notoriously hard to find. Most of the time they are on the underside, but can sometimes be slightly off the acro.

0dbc4812ddfe1f439468dce652a0e4f4.jpg
Looks like possibly three flatworms on that one branch as well.

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
turkey baste vigorously with no flow in the tank, hopefully there isnt much acros in the tank cause when one pops off and you see them your heart sinks lol....

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an accepted acropora-fallow period that will starve AEFW out of a display?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months. It is really hard to get info on this. If you really want to read more than you could ever want to know, Dr. Kate Rawlinson has some good stuff out on the nasty buggers.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I don’t have AEFW (yet :), but I’m making plans for when I make that mistake, haha.

Jeff Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve clearly never suffered through either issue. The photo alone in the original post is enough evidence for anyone that has been through AEFW before. Myself included. You can either take action right away, or sit around and pretend there’s no problem while your corals either away for the next few months.

It is classic AEFW. No color change in corals. Mine looked great too. Except when they started to wither. If AEFW was fast, they would starve themselves out of food. It takes months for most folks to realize there is AEFW in the tank.

How would you know what I have been through? I have been through ich twice...First time took everyones advice and went fishless for ten weeks and loss 75% of my fish, second time took the advice of a friend who has been in the hobby for 15+ years and did nothing and loss no fish and haven't seen any signs of ich in over a year. I may not have as much experience AEFW but have done some research and I know a lot of people will have you rip all your acros out of your tank, kill any parts that have encrusted on the rock, place the frags into a seperate (and most likely less stable tank), continuously dip the frags, and wait for AEFWs to starve to death. Sounds very similar to ich IMO. I wonder what percentage of people are actually successful with this method. I'm guessing not many. It's hard enough to keep acropora in a stable display tank let alone remove them from that tank, place them in a less stable tank, dip them repeatedly all while infested with AEFW. This is just my opinion, I'm no a marine biologist but neither is anyone else on this thread. If you kill all you acropora it will most likely get rid of all AEFW but was it really worth it. I believe the long island aquarium solved their issue with AEFW with natural predators such as wrasses and anthias.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the long island aquarium solved their issue with AEFW with natural predators such as wrasses and anthias.

I was just wondering what the keepers of super jumbo tanks have done whenever they've run into AEFW... assuming they slipped through a qt process.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back