What the..... ORA Red Planet prices

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was one of my best growing acros in mid '00s. I got it because it was so pretty red and green go so well together. I used to sell nice size frags of it ( by todays standards they'd probably be called colonies) for $10. I cant find it anywhere now I mean on line but $40-50 a small frag and $30 shipping thats nuts. I think I paid $50 for my original frag.

Most retailers in this hobby are not subsidized in shipping like the two ton heavy thing everybody is using.

By the way a Big Mac will run you $5.19 in New Jersey. $5.11 in California. Welcome to 2024.

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold this piece of red planet for $50 locally a couple weeks ago. A little shaded at the bottom but a large chunk.
PXL_20240121_230123386.MP.jpg

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's huge! Check out my WD frag.
20240110_164107.jpg

Jokes, of course.... lost mine and decided to chop it up. Piece of encrustment was all that survived. I didn't even realize it was there until a couple months after the colony died. Just noticed a little green speck on my rockwork.

Love red planet. @djf91 yours really likes to grow up. I cant get mine to do anything but encrust!
Yep, pain in the butt. Mine encrusted 4 inches in every direction before it started shooting out these long branches. Would really like it to start tabling. You think it’d be close enough (10” below the surface) at this point to my 400 watt halides.

Tripod1404

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with
Part of the cycle. Red planet is reaching timeless status.

Price gets driven down on those after all the garage reefers start growing them just to sell.

After they saturate the market and there's no money to be made on a strain, fewer carry it.

Things then net out based on how nice of a coral a strain is without tricked out photos.

Think Oregon Tort.
Same with green slimer, used to be a super common and was advised as a starters acro. Grew rapidly even with marginal water quality.

Seems to be much less common now, and online prices are around $50 for it.

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost this contest before it even started. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Does it grow reasonably fast?
Mine grows like a weed. I've had a couple of issues with my tank and lost some colonies but this has been pretty hardy. Started as about a 1" frag a couple years ago.

Attachments

• PXL_20240121_032715967.jpg
    PXL_20240121_032715967.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 70

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with

Same with green slimer, used to be a super common and was advised as a starters acro. Grew rapidly even with marginal water quality.

Seems to be much less common now, and online prices are around $50 for it.
No tank is complete without one. I have one of those and a blue variant that is already shooting multiple branches out.I hope I can get a stronger blue under the Straton Pro.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most retailers in this hobby are not subsidized in shipping like the two ton heavy thing everybody is using.

By the way a Big Mac will run you $5.19 in New Jersey. $5.11 in California. Welcome to 2024.
Remember when the Six Dollar Burger was a joke? In Pulp Fiction Vincent Vega couldn’t believe a milkshake cost $5?

The ORA Red Planet is worth $50 all day, everyday. It’s so tolerant of different light intensities (in 10 cities) and flow. You can move it around the tank to find a good spot and it doesn’t just brown out. It provides a vibrant red and the texture is a great contrast for those smooth deeper water Acros. It’s just a reliable red color on your palette to create a beautiful setting that compliments your other corals. A lot of people get “Frag Vision” and get stuck on colors in microscope like close ups. Then I think you can end up with a bunch of beautiful colors, but they don’t compliment each other or it becomes a jumble of rainbows and holy grails that get packed in and you can’t appreciate the details if you’re nose isn’t pressed to the glass or top down with a view box.
8A3A03FE-4243-4B9D-9D7E-0968F5C982C0.jpeg

ORA Red Planet, Frogskin & Cali Tort

OP
OP
BirdFish5000

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I do agree that red planet is worth the price, I'm just surprised how much it seems to have gone up and gone out of common availability.

I also like green planet, but I've tried it three times and it just does not like my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back