What the..... ORA Red Planet prices

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everything is more expensive nowadays, but what the heck is up with the Ora Red Planet getting so expensive now? Everywhere I look is easily over $50.
When I had my first frag that grew into a colony four or five years ago, people practically couldn't give away frags. But now these seemingly once super common acro has become pricier and not as super easy (still easy, just not EVERYWHERE) to find.

Am I missing something? Am I just looking in the completely wrong places?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure it's "fair", but, as the saying goes, "it is what it is", and, as long as there's a wiling buyer, it'll be what it is.
It’s a classic piece that is aquacultured and been in captivity for over a decade so it’s a proven to do well! People are paying $250 at a hack shop for a wild coral cause they put some tacky name on it haha! To each their own!

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I feel like $50 today is the $30 of just a few years ago.

Mine grows like a weed. Won’t stop encrusting. Kind of a nuisance.

IMG_2981.jpeg

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the cycle. Red planet is reaching timeless status.

Price gets driven down on those after all the garage reefers start growing them just to sell.

After they saturate the market and there's no money to be made on a strain, fewer carry it.

Things then net out based on how nice of a coral a strain is without tricked out photos.

Think Oregon Tort.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was one of my best growing acros in mid '00s. I got it because it was so pretty red and green go so well together. I used to sell nice size frags of it ( by todays standards they'd probably be called colonies) for $10. I cant find it anywhere now I mean on line but $40-50 a small frag and $30 shipping thats nuts. I think I paid $50 for my original frag.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice established colony, maybe 45 polyps?
I'm surprised something this small can even survive on its own without being in some kind incubator or something.
I've had it on the bottom for the past couple weeks or so to let it settle in, but once I setup my new lighting tomorrow, I will place it....with an orange flag next to it so I know where it is. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on the size of the frag. But they are calling 2” sticks “mini colonies” nowadays. :grinning-squinting-face:
Scientifically, I believe a colony is just more than one polyp. In that case, I have some massive colonies with 5 or 6 polyps that look like boogers ;). Usually only see smooth skins of a higher price range and slower growth rates with single polyps (think Purple Monster and similar).

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow, that's huge! Check out my WD frag.
20240110_164107.jpg

Jokes, of course.... lost mine and decided to chop it up. Piece of encrustment was all that survived. I didn't even realize it was there until a couple months after the colony died. Just noticed a little green speck on my rockwork.

Love red planet. @djf91 yours really likes to grow up. I cant get mine to do anything but encrust!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back